need help with verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raj123singh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked many times before. I am struggling with verbal a lot. Nothing seem to be working for me. I have tired mapping, going over the wrong and right answers. My scores are not improving in verbal.
Time is not a issue for me. I can finish a passage in 3-4 mins and finish the answers in 4 mins however my accuracy is not improving. I am doing EK 101 right now. After finishing a passage, when I see my score, it really discourages me and wanting to do this and then I start questioning myself would I ever be able to improve in verbal (considering English is my second language)section.
please give me any suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

try reading a passage once, closing the book, and writing down everything you can remember from the passage. also write down what you think the authors point was even if you think you're taking blind guesses. dont worry about questions until you feel confident on your reading. remember every answer is in the passage. if you know the passage, youll know the answer. think of it as learning and not as reading.

try reading a passage once, closing the book, and writing down everything you can remember from the passage. also write down what you think the authors point was even if you think you're taking blind guesses. dont worry about questions until you feel confident on your reading. remember every answer is in the passage. if you know the passage, youll know the answer. think of it as learning and not as reading.
First of all thanks a lot. I will try this new method, and I agree with you in some of the passages that I get right answers right, I can see that answers are in the passages. Other passages just doesn't seem to work.
Thanks

I disagree with this. The VR section isn't a comprehension test, but is one that requires drawing conclusions from some simple to very abstract readings. Yes, some of the answers can be pulled directly from the passage, but this isn't the norm by any means for VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with this. The VR section isn't a comprehension test, but is one that requires drawing conclusions from some simple to very abstract readings. Yes, some of the answers can be pulled directly from the passage, but this isn't the norm by any means for VR.

my bad. i didn't mean it as literally as it sounded. more that you dont have to know things other than whats given to you in the passage, so if you fully understand the passage, you should get all the questions right. theres no trickery.

my bad. i didn't mean it as literally as it sounded. more that you dont have to know things other than whats given to you in the passage, so if you fully understand the passage, you should get all the questions right. theres no trickery.

I agree with this. If you read the passage and got lost with what the author is trying to say, you're pretty f-ed. Surprisingly on the MCAT my verbal was pretty straight forward. The passages were overwhelmingly long and I messed up timing a bit in the beginning but really it is just reading and answering the questions. Always keep the main points in mind and you'll most likely do decent. I don't recall seeing many detail questions. Some questions might be pretty tricky, but if those are the only ones you miss then you're still in good shape.