Need help...

Started by CyperPunk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CyperPunk

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I need some advice.
I think I'm sort of screwed, but I wanna hear what everyone else got to say.

I was planning to into Pharmacy school, and I didn't wanna stay in school for extra year so I decided to take all pre-req classes in two years (i'm a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago). The problem is that because of the great amount of classes I took at the same time I didnt perform really well, so my average GPA is 2.48 now.. not even 2.5 what is needed to get into College of Pharmacy at UIC or Midwestern. This is my second year and I'm doing my best to raise my GPA, i'm sure you know it is hard.. the more i think about it the more I think I'm screwed.. do you think is it even worth applying to those schools (i started to fill out PharmCAS and i have PCAT scheduled), because I won't have any chance to get in with my situation? Or should I still try, and if not accepted, repeat the classes to get better grades?

Thanks,
Bummed
 
CyperPunk said:
Hi, I need some advice.
I think I'm sort of screwed, but I wanna hear what everyone else got to say.

I was planning to into Pharmacy school, and I didn't wanna stay in school for extra year so I decided to take all pre-req classes in two years (i'm a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago). The problem is that because of the great amount of classes I took at the same time I didnt perform really well, so my average GPA is 2.48 now.. not even 2.5 what is needed to get into College of Pharmacy at UIC or Midwestern. This is my second year and I'm doing my best to raise my GPA, i'm sure you know it is hard.. the more i think about it the more I think I'm screwed.. do you think is it even worth applying to those schools (i started to fill out PharmCAS and i have PCAT scheduled), because I won't have any chance to get in with my situation? Or should I still try, and if not accepted, repeat the classes to get better grades?

Thanks,
Bummed

GPA-wise, you aren't ready. Take the time to concentrate on improving your GPA. Retake any classes in which you scored poorly. There's no rush to get into school, as much as you want it to be now.
 
I agree... maybe spend a semester re-taking classes you did most poorly in while also studying for the PCAT. Also, maybe think about making your pre-reqs into a major? I had to take a year off and reapply simply because I applied too late in the cylce. It is not the end of the world.. there is no race to get every thing done so quickly. Some one told me once "You are going to be 30 no matter what, whether you go to pharmacy school or not nothing can change that" IN other words, don't think "oh my god , i can't go to pharmacy school, I'll be 27 by the time I'm done and my life will be 1/3 over!" So what are you going to do? Be a McDonalds manager and be 27 or be a pharm d and be 27? If you really want to do it, don't worry about taking an extra year or so.... it will be worth it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Leah27 said:
I agree... maybe spend a semester re-taking classes you did most poorly in while also studying for the PCAT. Also, maybe think about making your pre-reqs into a major? I had to take a year off and reapply simply because I applied too late in the cylce. It is not the end of the world.. there is no race to get every thing done so quickly. Some one told me once "You are going to be 30 no matter what, whether you go to pharmacy school or not nothing can change that" IN other words, don't think "oh my god , i can't go to pharmacy school, I'll be 27 by the time I'm done and my life will be 1/3 over!" So what are you going to do? Be a McDonalds manager and be 27 or be a pharm d and be 27? If you really want to do it, don't worry about taking an extra year or so.... it will be worth it.

lol that's exactly how i feel sometimes.
It depresses me now, I should've just take my time with classes without rushing... Thanks for advice, it does help 👍
 
I agree with the two above posts. Maybe take some of your harder pre-reqs over with some easier classes, so that you can raise your GPA. Also, some pharmacy experience might be helpful (if you don't already have some). Best of Luck-
 
luv2BPharmD said:
I agree with the two above posts. Maybe take some of your harder pre-reqs over with some easier classes, so that you can raise your GPA. Also, some pharmacy experience might be helpful (if you don't already have some). Best of Luck-

I'm working at Walgreen's pharmacy right now, for almost a year now, so I guess I'm set with the experience requirenment.