Need help:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a french Canadian from Montreal and would like to attend med schools in the US. My situation is quite complicated. I have got my bachelor degree( BSc 01) with a very miserable GPA 2.56 from McGill University. I know i can`t go anywhere with this GPA but i am very motivated to improve my chance of getting accepted in medical schools. ? want to ask you some advices what should i Do to improve my chance.
Should i do a second major or starts a master degree. How do US med schools work. It is a better idea to do a master degree or retaking another major.
I am now studying for the MCAT for the very first time. i started today and i am really motivated. Do you thing it is possible to get accepted one day in med schools.
Please if you have any advices or comments that could help me please say it.

PS:Verbal reasoning question are very tough especially for french people i should also improve my english :rolleyes:
GOOD LUCK ALL

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ray,
If your dream is to become a physician then go for it. I believe that most medical schools would rather you attempt a masters degree than another undergraduate major, as long as you have already taken all the premed courses. Completing a masters in the sciences will prove to them that you can handle the work that is expected of you in medical school (assuming that you do extremely well in your graduate classes). Osteopathic medical schools are more likely to accept students who had a "not so hot" undergrad career as long as they see an upward trend in grades during graduate work. Also don't forget to get involved in other stuff too. Do some volunteer work to get some clinical experience and try to shadow an osteopathic physician if possible. Maybe do some research with someone who will give you an opportunity to present it at a few conferences. Take some leadership positions at your university. If you've done some of this already, great. If not, you really should. In addition to getting great grades to improve your GPA, you have to prove that you are interested in medicine and that you are a motivated and determined individual.
Also, if you do well on the MCAT it can give them the impression that you are better then what your undergrad GPA portrays. But whatever you do, don't get discouraged. If you want it, you can achieve it!!! Work hard and you will get there! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Good Luck!!

Thankx Smiley free. I really appreciate your advices .I know it is tough but not impossible iwill do my best and we will see. I really want to be a physician . Thank you again :D