ani007

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
59
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry if this was mentioned before but my school (UCI) allows 4 retakes which completely replaces your previous grades. I have to retake a couple science req courses and was wondering if the school replaces them does that mean i still have to report it on my app???

if so I am really worried about how low this will bring my average...any advice?

Also, I need clarification on the bio req. for dental. Is biochemistry, molecular biology, and lab needed or just 1 year of general biology?
 

mlle

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
432
1
Status
Dental Student
what does uci stand for? that is awesome!

I wouldn't mention it if it' not on your transcipt in any way. does it say retake?
 

kaDa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
112
0
Status
Pre-Dental
ani007 said:
Also, I need clarification on the bio req. for dental. Is biochemistry, molecular biology, and lab needed or just 1 year of general biology?
This depends on which schools you're applying to. All schools require one year of general biology and some others require biochem in addition to that. You should definitely take additional upper level bio classes to show you can perform in those as well though...
 
About the Ads
OP
A

ani007

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
59
0
Status
Pre-Medical
kaDa said:
This depends on which schools you're applying to. All schools require one year of general biology and some others require biochem in addition to that. You should definitely take additional upper level bio classes to show you can perform in those as well though...
okay i have taken 3 classes (1yr) of bio 93,94,97. the classes left are:

98: Biochemistry
99: Molecular Biology
100LW: Bio Lab

I know I have to take the lab but I really don't know if I have to take 98 and 99. I know I am not required to I think and I chose psych major to avoid these upper division bio courses. If dental schools won't consider me if I don't take these courses then I will. Anyone have any advice on this?

Also for the retakes I am not sure but if they don't show up on my transcript then i'm in the clear right?

And if they do then I am sure they will average :(
 

KOM

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
1,241
4
Status
Dental Student
ani007 said:
okay i have taken 3 classes (1yr) of bio 93,94,97. the classes left are:

98: Biochemistry
99: Molecular Biology
100LW: Bio Lab

I know I have to take the lab but I really don't know if I have to take 98 and 99. I know I am not required to I think and I chose psych major to avoid these upper division bio courses. If dental schools won't consider me if I don't take these courses then I will. Anyone have any advice on this?

Also for the retakes I am not sure but if they don't show up on my transcript then i'm in the clear right?

And if they do then I am sure they will average :(
I'd be willing to bet that by your school saying "replace" the old scores it just means that your old grade won't factor into your GPA at your school. However, they will still list both times that you took the class. At least that's what my school did.
 

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
1,000
1
Irvine
Status
Dentist
ani007 said:
okay i have taken 3 classes (1yr) of bio 93,94,97. the classes left are:

98: Biochemistry
99: Molecular Biology
100LW: Bio Lab

I know I have to take the lab but I really don't know if I have to take 98 and 99. I know I am not required to I think and I chose psych major to avoid these upper division bio courses. If dental schools won't consider me if I don't take these courses then I will. Anyone have any advice on this?

Also for the retakes I am not sure but if they don't show up on my transcript then i'm in the clear right?

And if they do then I am sure they will average :(
Hey, i'm a UCI (University of CA Irvine) Bio student. yea, your retakes will replace the grades at UCI only. when you apply, all your grades will show up and averaged out. yes, you have to take the bio sci lower division core (93,94,97,98,99, 100lw). biochem and molecular bio are required, and they are lowerdivision classes. not to mention, your going to have one hell of a time studying for the DAT without this basic science to back you up. although im not sure if 100Lw is required, without it you won't be able to take any future labs, not to mention it counts as an upper division writing class (not to mention its easy...). anyway, are you applying this cycle? if you are, gl and take care.
 
About the Ads