Need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolinagirl1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have already asked u guys for help before but I am just wondering if anyone knows about how much does a kaplan course help?? So, I got 19M by studying on my own and I have 3.8 GPA. What do you guys think I should aim for to get a decent shot into med schools?? I was wondering if medical schools will even find me competitive enough even after I get a better score on my second mcat test b/c I know they will be able to see my first score?? I am just really worried! So, Kaplan classes start tom at my univ. I can still sign up... it's lotsa money which I think I should not worry about .. .I just want to make sure that ppl have improved w/ these type of courses or not. Another problem is that I am taking 16 hours this semester. I was thinking I should drop one of my 3 hours class which I do not need for my major 'Neuro 4900' and take this course so I can devote more time to it. What do you guys suggest?? Anyone taken a Kaplan course? Anyone applied w/ 2nd mcat score n gotten in? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you live in North Carolina, a 27+ should make you competitive at ECU. In general, you'll want at least a 29 to have a shot, but aim higher, obviously.

23 on the diagnostic for kaplan to a 35 on the real deal. You will not improve by virtue of just "taking Kaplan". I studied at least 300 hours including taking as many practice tests as I could.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Kaplan course. It's a lot of work. It isn't just a matter of showing up for review classes. You will have homework and a big box of review books to read. I think it's a good idea for you to take the least number of semester hours you can and still be considered full time, so you can devote a lot of your attention to Kaplan materials and not be bogged down with college course studying too much.

If you take the second MCAT and do well, schools will assume the first one was a fluke (like maybe you were sick that day, or something), especially considering your GPA.

Retaking the MCAT is something of a rite of passage for many, last year there were 65,000 or so MCATs taken for 42,00 med school applicants approximately. No worries about taking the MCAT again. But keep in mind that if the second score is basically the same as the first, it'd indicate that your "true potential" is roughly that score.

By the way, I retook the exam, overall score increased 4 pts from upper 20's to low 30's after completing several advanced bio courses + 6 weeks dedicated fulltime study + reviewing EK in my weak areas.

I took Kaplan prior to my first MCAT, did the lessons online (including listening to lectures) because the instruction seemed clearer, more interesting, and more to my speed (easy to review tough areas) rather than study in a classroom. I'm still mixed about this given the cost, I felt a fair amount of the material was OK but covered areas in detal that are not on the MCAT. Kind of an eye-opener when I read my supplemental material (from ExamKrackers) and read the statement: we're going to skip over Benzene rings, as these are no longer covered on the MCAT. But from what I recall, they were covered in detail by Kaplan. Only so much room in my brain to cram for unnecessary areas.

I had great luck and would recommend, instead of Kaplan, to buy the ExamKrackers series, some people also recommend the audioosmosis cds, and definitely buy all of the available AAMC old tests, around 8 are available, and take these in a timed format to get more experience with this.

I would definitely recommend Kaplan, but only the internet course, and not the lecture. Going to lecture was useless for me. The internet course has many wonderful mock tests, and exercises that help hone your skills. And also, read and re-read the review books. You won't regret it!

I got a 20 on my diagnostic, ended with a 31 on the real thing. However, like others mentioned, you have to be willing to bust your butt. You have to want it! GL

It all depends on your teacher as far as what you will get out of a lecture at Kaplan. Mine was awesome, and I really think I got a lot from her.

I also sing the praises of Kaplan; 25 diagnostic, 34 real deal. But again, I echo what everyone else says- you've gotta put in the work.