Need HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionaryGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am really having a rough semester so far and need some advice. I am currently enrolled in a grad/post bacc degree program in general biology and I like the school I attend, but I am having some major issues with the school. For example, the school has 2 campuses, one in downtown chicago and one in the suburbs. And I have been forced this semester to take courses at both campuses in the same day and they are an hour apart (there was nothing else to take) . It's been very stressful so far in terms of the commute (I live in the burbs) and I'm considering transferring to another school for this reason. Also, the science dept is not that strong here and very few students sign up for bio courses. For example, I had signed up for Genetics this semester but they ended up cancelling it because only 2 people signed up for it. It was very discouraging.

And there's no telling if I have to travel between campuses next semester as well. I am wondering if transferring at this point would taint my transcripts. I have one more year to go for my degree in biology and I'm not sure how adcoms at med schools would see this transfer. I believe my reasons are justifyable. Just the fact that we don't have enough students taking science classes is a red flag. Had I known this, I would have gone to another school.

Then again, the thought of starting all over again is kind of overwhelming. I may be better off just staying where I am. At this point, I am unsure of what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't get the classes you need and it is too tough to commute to the schools...then maybe you should transfer. Plus most of your credits would transfer to another school...although your gpa may not, but that doesn't matter. I know my school will accept transfer credits, but not grades. Anyways, all your courses will show up on the AMCAS application and if you are a good applicant...you will get interviews. At the interviews they may ask you why you transferred, but I think you have a justifiable reason and they will respect your decision. Good luck!

How many transfer credits will the school take? Can you take some of your classes elsewhere and transfer them in? This might be easier for you than starting over. Talk to your advisor and see if you have other options. If they're having trouble filling classes they've surely had this suggested before.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not clear to me: are you in a graduate program leading to a master's degree, or are you in a postbacc PROGRAM, which are rarely degree granting programs? Postbacc programs, also, for the most part, are for students who have NOT taken the premed prerequisites in college. "Postbaccalaureate" is an adjective simply referring to courses taken after earning a first degree. Any advanced degree program is thus also "postbaccalaureate."
So are any non-degree granting programs offering courses to students who already have a bachelor's degree.

As for the credits transferring, that is irrelevant as far as satisfying the premedical requirements. You have to submit ORIGINAL transcripts from the school where you took the courses, whether credits for courses transferred or not.

If you are required to take courses at two different campuses, you are more likely to be in a degree granting master's program. Large universities, with more than one campus in big cities, tend to utilize graduate faculty at different campuses, especially in the sciences. Instead of the research faculty moving around to give courses at one campus, the students (being lower in the pecking order) keep in good shape by running back and forth. (Don't sneer: you will appreciate that when you reach your appointed place near the top).

Before you run off, clarify your status and the consequences of moving on.

Gower, in response to your post, yes I am in a graduate program and when I am done I will obtain a masters degree. However, at this point, I don't think it matters as to whether I obtain a master's or bachelors. The goal is to go to med school. If I do get a master's I will have more options open to me when I am done, but in the end I am not interested in pursuing a career in research. Anyway, I will definitely weight all of my options before I make a decision. Thanks for the advice.

I empathize... Chicago is definitely not a place to commute especially with downtown traffic, Lake shore on the shiznets... I would suggest you transfer. The question will be breached if there really is a concern, but I think you have a good reason. or several good reasons.

Are you doing the Finch Master's post bacc?

In answer to your question, freakingzooming, no I'm not in Finch's grad program. I am actually in a grad program at Roosevelt University. I did not know they have a hard time filling up science courses. I have a friend taking advanced organic chemistry and it has only 5 people in it.

I hope I could finish up my bio degree this coming year.

Thanks for the advice.