Need Help!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenGrizz14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got back the results of my June 18th MCAT last week and the results were:

PS- 10
VR- 8
BS- 10
WS- N
Overall: 28N

I have a 3.94 overall GPA and majoring in Biology. I'm looking at MSU and Wayne State as my top 2 choices and I happen to be a resident of Michigan....do you think I have a good chance of making it into one of these schools or should I retake the MCAT and wait until next cycle? I really could use some help and feedback since I really don't know what to do and I'm just fed up with the situation...:(

Members don't see this ad.

Well, how much time/effort did you spend on the MCATs? If you believe that you can do much better, I think it'd be wise. A score in the 20s doesn't look too good. You're GPA is awesome and if you can pair that with a 31 or 32 you'd be golden.

Hi everyone,

I just got back the results of my June 18th MCAT last week and the results were:

PS- 10
VR- 8
BS- 10
WS- N
Overall: 28N

I have a 3.94 overall GPA and majoring in Biology. I'm looking at MSU and Wayne State as my top 2 choices and I happen to be a resident of Michigan....do you think I have a good chance of making it into one of these schools or should I retake the MCAT and wait until next cycle? I really could use some help and feedback since I really don't know what to do and I'm just fed up with the situation...:(

How were your practice tests? If they were 31+, then I would retake immediately, as in, August. And then apply. If your practices were in the 28-30 range, then don't retake. But apply. MSU and Wayne do cater to Michigan residents, and a 3.94/28 does stand a good shot - you are somewhat saved because your sciences are 10s. In the meantime, spend the upcoming year as though you are not going to be accepted (a definite possibility). Build up your ECs, and I would take an April MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks camaras2480 and UnfeatyOblation for the input...my aamc average was exactly 30.5 and I put in about 3 months of studying. I feel hesitant to make a solid decision, I only had one aamc test be lower then the score I got on the real mcat but it was a 26....I'm leaning to perhaps applying this year like you said camaras2480 and continue to study for the mcat like I wont get in. Worst case scenario I can apply next cycle with a retake that I will be fully prepared for. Do you know of any excellent source material to help me with the verbal section since it appears to be my weakness?

Thanks camaras2480 and UnfeatyOblation for the input...my aamc average was exactly 30.5 and I put in about 3 months of studying. I feel hesitant to make a solid decision, I only had one aamc test be lower then the score I got on the real mcat but it was a 26....I'm leaning to perhaps applying this year like you said camaras2480 and continue to study for the mcat like I wont get in. Worst case scenario I can apply next cycle with a retake that I will be fully prepared for. Do you know of any excellent source material to help me with the verbal section since it appears to be my weakness?

Unfortunately, verbal sucks. Medical schools have not realized yet that the verbal reasoning section is a horrible measure of someone's ability to "verbally reason" haha. Anyway, generally, the best way to get better at verbal is to just practice more and more passages. When completing them, go back and review the answers - not just the wrong ones, but also the ones you got right. You may notice some similarity in the types of questions that are asked, and perhaps find a correlation between which ones you tend to get right, and the type of question that tends to be. Sorry, but this is all I got about verbal haha. Check out the MCAT forums - they might have more to say.

Do verbal passages until you're blue in the face. It's my worst section too, but once you do enough of them it gets a little easier.

I just wanted to say you guys are great and I appreciate the help...looks like I got whole lot of practice with verbal headed my way, but hopefully I wont need it:)!!

I just wanted to say you guys are great and I appreciate the help...looks like I got whole lot of practice with verbal headed my way, but hopefully I wont need it:)!!

Glad to help - Good luck!! :luck:

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering besides Wayne and MSU what are some other schools I should apply to that I might have a shot at getting in at?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering besides Wayne and MSU what are some other schools I should apply to that I might have a shot at getting in at?

Hmmm.

How about, Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton, UIllinois @ Chicago, Temple, Jefferson, Tulane, Eastern Virginia, VCU, NYMC, and Albany?

Just some ideas.