need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgorPro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, im from kiev and dont understand what does this frase mean:
"pockets and patients" defenition of pocket i know, but the meaning of word "patient" is unknown for me in this context.

sentence is below

Periochip treatment resulted in a greater percentage of pockets and patients that showed an improvement in PD of 2 mm or more compared with SRP alone at 9 months.

could u help me please?

Members don't see this ad.

"Patients (one or both sites)"

and this frase

hello, im from kiev and dont understand what does this frase mean:
"pockets and patients" defenition of pocket i know, but the meaning of word "patient" is unknown for me in this context.

sentence is below

Periochip treatment resulted in a greater percentage of pockets and patients that showed an improvement in PD of 2 mm or more compared with SRP alone at 9 months.

could u help me please?
It's a way of shortening the sentence by not repeating yourself. Try reading it this way:

"Periochip treatment resulted in a greater percentage of pockets and a greater percentage of patients that showed an improvement in PD......."

Instead of repeating "a greater percentage of" they just wrote it once and the reader can see that it applies to both "pockets" and "patients".

So both the pockets showed an improvement and the patients in the study showed improvement.