Need honest advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dandy Walker

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a non-US IMG graduated this April. I have taken CK(241) and passed CS on first attempt. However, I have been questioning for a while now whether or not to continue with step 1 given my below average CK score, mediocre CV and most importantly lack of connections. From what I have observed in this forum and Facebook groups, it seems like only the non-US IMGs with above average scores (250s and above) actually have a shot at getting interview invites at all. Most if not all applicants with lower scores who received interviews have connections. I know at least 5 visa-requiring IMGs with well above average scores who did not match or even receive interview invites last year.

I have major financial constraints as I have a huge student loan debt and my family isn't quite financially stable at this moment. And I know that the application for residency programs alone can be very costly. I would feel really bad for worsening my family's financial burden if this is not going to work out. So I would really appreciate it if someone could offer an honest advice on this. Thanks. By the way, best of luck to those who applied this year!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean you came this far and have a huge student loan debt. Assuming your debt is in the 100's of thousands--how the hell are you going to pay it off?

I applied as a med student with my residual check money. I don't remember the exact #, but it wasn't on the range of 10's of thousands.

So you're going to let a few more thousand dollars deter you after you've spent hundreds of thousands? That makes no sense to me.

I'd apply broadly to IM and FM. I'd scramble or whatever comes after the match these days. But the notion of quitting now seems absurd.

It would be good to know what you are planning if you did not continue towards taking Step 1 and applying to residency here. I do agree with jm192 that you have come a long way to stop now, unless you have something else secure waiting for you.

Your chances of gaining residency and doing well on exams will likely decrease as time goes on. Another way to see things is that you're chances will never be as great as they are now.

If money is an issue, I would recommend picking up a side job to help yourself out if you are not doing so already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take Step 1 and do well on it. Having all Steps done will keep the most doors open for you. If you don't, they are basically all closed forever. No brainer to me.

It was some time ago, but applying to about 150 programs cost about $3000. Not cheap and I don't know how many you need to apply to, and if it would be more. That covered about 24 different states.

I could expound on more strategy.

Look at all programs. Cross off all that are considered "competitive." Cross off all that appear not to take IMGs. Cross off all in desirable locations or states that don't look like have bottom of barrel and very IMG friendly programs. Look at what remains on your list, consider cutting more that have name recognition or don't have IMGs. Your list will be long, but should skew towards "fly over" states, community programs, programs that have no or not great reputations, and you might want to include all that didn't fill in the Match that aren't also competitive otherwise (fluke no fills happen in good programs). Include brand new programs, programs with malignant reputation.

If you don't have connections make connections. I think anything >240 is very good and you should take step 1 if you can score > 240. Before you apply be smart and check the residents names/schools on the websites for all the programs in the US and find the ones that take people with a background similar to yours. Try to contact the residents and make connections and that should get you at least an interview then you have to show that you can fit. Most of the programs don't care about how many publications or how much experience you have as much as they care about how your relationship with them and with the patients is going to be. Don't waste your money by applying to programs the don't take IMGs. Good luck!

Do well on Step 1 and get US clinical experience and/or research in the US. Apply to FM as backup. You should have a good shot.

Thank you guys for your replies. My friends have also been telling me the same thing but I wasn't sure if they were just being nice. This is also what I have been convincing myself, it's just a couple more thousands (However the USD is 4 times the local currency in my country). I guess I just needed some advice to be really firm about my decision. I hope that this is going to be the right decision.

Ultimately you have to make this decision by yourself. Almost IMG have been at that cross road at some point
No matter what anybody tells you, as an IMG you do understand that there is no guarantee at the end of the end line. Depends on if you look at the glass as half empty or half full. Some people would take their chances and give it their best shot and would actually get to the finish line---so that they dont have any regret that they could have actually made it.
If you decide to go forward---need to target higher step 1 and pass step 2CS at the first attempt. And ofcos US clinical experience ....if you dont have that. Good luck