Need honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmadsen1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wait-listed at MWUAZ and I am starting to lose hope for this cycle. Honestly do you think I will get in somewhere?
3.2 sGPA, 3.25 bcp, 3.4 cGPA
21/21/23/18 AA/TS/RC/PAT
100+ shadowing. Good leadership and volunteer hrs. Also am attending a dental trip to honduras next week.

Members don't see this ad.

What other schools did you apply to?

MWU-IL,Temple, UMKC, ASDOH, NYU, LECOM, Western, MSDOH, Touro, Tufts, UNE, Louisville, Indiana, UNLV, Roseman, LLU, Creighton. I also received an email from Roseman saying my last 30 credits were not a 3.0 so they wouldnt process my application (apparently they only look at gpa w/out +/- otherwise my last 30 credits would be around 3.2) so I am guessing I got denied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honest opinion? If your last 30 credits have been around 3.0 like you’ve said and your cumulative is 3.4, it shows a decrease in academic ability as classes got harder. Do NOT stress yet as it is very early, but IF you are not accepted this cycle, a solid gap year of acing science courses, in combination with you DAT score, will get you into a dental school next cycle. DONT THINK ITS THE END OF THE WORLD, IT’S NOT. Good luck.

I mean you applied to a lot of private schools, so keep your hopes up. I feel like your gpa might hold you back so assuming that you still want to continue with dentistry even if you don't get in this cycle, I would look into masters programs that you might be interested in just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
You shouldn't lose hope so soon! I'm in a similar boat as you, as I've received the MWU-AZ interview wait list email on 6/19.

GPA (overall/science/BCP): 3.56; 3.27; 3.37
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC): 20/19/18/23

However, last Friday I did receive an interview invite from Touro and feel that hope coming back. It's still very early in the application cycle, and this long waiting due to submitting early makes it ever so more disheartening when you receive the wait list email from MWU.

Side note, I did have a strong upward trend with A's in almost all upper division science courses. Not sure if this significantly impacts the interview decision for some schools.