Need insight into app process please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgoldst1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just switched to dental and am rather confused about the process. I need help timing my app.

When do I need to have the app submitted by in order to be competitive at an ivy league dental school? What about avg dental school vs low tier.

When does this mean I need to take the DAT?

Assume 3.88 sGPA about 3.9 cum.
father is a dentist, so I am familiar with the field.
some research experience

Please do not post stories you know about that one exception who took the DAT late and got into a great school. I need to know realistic time frames.

---
Basically:
When do I need to take the DAT?
How long after the DAT is taken will my app be processed?
Is there a benefit to applying before I take the DAT?
What are DAT/app realistic time frames for acceptance into top tier dental school schools? What about mid/low tier dental schools.

I appreciate any information provided because I admit I am not very knowledgeable. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the DAT during your winter or spring break of your junior year, and in case you need to re-take it, you can take it in the summer before your senior year and not have your application delayed.

You do not need to have your DAT scores in order for you to apply. You can submit your AADSAS application before taking the DAT. The AADSAS application becomes available June 1st, and I would advise you to complete it and submit it sometime in June or July. Dental schools work on a rolling admissions basis, therefore the earlier you apply, the better your chances will be. This is also stated on many dental school's websites as well.

All dental schools, whether Ivy League or not, cannot send out acceptance letters until December 1st. You can get interviews from any school anytime during the school year...it just depends on the school. Also, the competitiveness of Ivy League schools vs. others doesn't matter in regards to when you submit your application. With your GPA as high as it is, if you get a decent score of ~20 AA with no exceptionally low scores in a particular section, you have a good shot at getting into any dental school.

I'm assuming you want to apply this cycle. If you're planning on applying next year... you have plenty of time.

to be a competitive applicant... you should have everything turned in before august. You want your application to be in the one of the first 2 batches that are mailed out.

i'm not really sure what your situation is, but the whole process is a waiting game. That means it's going to take time for your profs to write you letters, it's going to take time to send your transcripts out, it's going to take time to for your DAT scores to be sent out, it's going to take time for your application to be mailed out. If you haven't even started the application process, then you're fighting an uphill battle.

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of applicants that apply late and get in. however, like you said, they are usually the exceptions.

if you're applying next year... then make sure you start early.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies!!

im applying this year.. i have my recs in, and app is ready I just have to complete the personal statement on AASDAS. If I submit my e-app in a week, and have my guidence counselor send out my app within the week as well.... I still have the DAT remaining.

Right now im figuring on being ready for the DAT around the second week of august... Assuming I take it then, when will my app be considered completed most likely? Is this soon enough?

Anything I can do/ recomendations?

Also, if I submit my e-app and actual app, does my DAT need to be submitted as well in order to reserve my spot "in the line" of applications as they are processed?

thanks for the replies!!

im applying this year.. i have my recs in, and app is ready I just have to complete the personal statement on AASDAS. If I submit my e-app in a week, and have my guidence counselor send out my app within the week as well.... I still have the DAT remaining.

Right now im figuring on being ready for the DAT around the second week of august... Assuming I take it then, when will my app be considered completed most likely? Is this soon enough?

Anything I can do/ recomendations?

Go ahead and submit your AADSAS within the next week or two and you will still be fine. Taking the DAT early-mid August isn't terribly late, but it's still not early. But like I said before, if you get good DAT scores, it won't affect you that much. Once you take your DAT, be sure to fax schools your unofficial scores, that way they may be able to start looking at your application. Since it takes the ADA 3-4 weeks to send your scores to dental schools, your application won't be considered complete offiicially until probably end of August/beginning of September.

Also, if I submit my e-app and actual app, does my DAT need to be submitted as well in order to reserve my spot "in the line" of applications as they are processed?

What do you mean by your "actual app". You don't send in a hard copy at all, AADSAS does that for you. You submit an electronic application to AADSAS (at least the majority of applicants do it electronically), and AADSAS will send electronic and paper copies to your designated schools.