Need Major Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtlangel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry to hear. Can you just transfer to another optometry school?

Apparently you need a GPA of 3.0 to transfer to another optometry school which makes no sense. If I had a 3.0 I wouldn't have been dismissed in the first place therefore no need to transfer. Only IAUPR allowed me to apply for transfer and I haven't heard any response from them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is ridiculous. I have heard of a lot of people transferring to IAUPR. Please keep us updated on your process.

I am so sorry to hear about this. Do you really love it that much? Honestly, I would just do something a little safer and with a little better return, like nursing or PA. Don't let optometry ruin your life. It's not worth it. And it sucks about your family. Their loss if they're cutting you out when you need them the most.

Hello Digitalized,

You might be right. I will look into nursing and PA. Thanks.

Couldn't agree more with the advice of looking into shorter and high in demand programs such as PA & nursing . Going to IAUPR might not be such as good idea, many practicing ODs believe that training is not up to par with most US schools. You might be at a disadvantage when looking for job upon graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
So I called western university of health sciences and basically they told me since I took so much grad units, I would need to get a masters in something.. to raise my grad GPA if I were to apply to optometry as a new applicant. My question is: how do I get into a masters program when I have a bad Grad GPA already? I realize that most masters program need a 3.0 undergrad and GRE. Do they count Grad GPA? Just wondering if anyone knew about this.

jtangel:

Your problems may be a blessing in disguise.

Optometry does suck. My opinion here is widely known. I've been doing it for about 17 yrs and it does suck, basically. Sorry. I wish I could be less of a downer on this issue.

Why not pursue a career in Nursing? Independent Nurse Practitioners are in HIGH demand. They provide better care than doctors do, in my opinion.

PA programs are also awesome. It's pre-med prerequisites and 2-3 yrs of PA training. Usually bacc degree.

You might also consider a career in Medical Imaging Technology. It's usually a 5 yr bacc degree and the starting wage is around 50K! Usually there are 2-3 yrs of prerequisites similar to pre-med and 2 yrs of MIT training. Oregon Institute of Technology offers this degree program. You can pursue MRI's or Radiation or Ultrasound route. That's another cool alternative.

But if you really have a PASSION for it, then stick with optometry. Otherwise, you'll hate your professional life. If you aren't passionate and Optometry school wants you to get a MS degree to continue, I'd say it wasn't worth the trouble. Or if you go get a MS degree, get it in something that could serve as a viable alternative career. Example: get MS in Microbiology so if optometry doesn't work out you can become a food inspector or something.

OOo i just received news. I got accepted into IAUPR.... :)

Did they accept you as a first year or do you get to be a second year again?

Congrats! I also wonder if they will make you do it all over again (beginning from first year) or let your credits transfer. Honestly, if they made me go back to first year I would rather just get out of it. First year was painful to me (I'm sure I lost a few years of my life there)

I have always envied dental hygienists. It's a shame I don't like teeth.. But it's a good profession, you make good money, it takes less time than optometry and MOST OF ALL, you are left with smaller loans... and really, you help people there too just like in optometry.

If they accepted you and they accept at least 1.5yr worth of credits then I'd accept it and attend IAUPR.

If they start you as a 1st yr then forget it and apply to a Caribbean medical school or nursing or physician assistant program. GOod luck :thumbup:

They accepted me as a first year. I know realistically who would repeat a year right? But this is my dream and it's about finishing what I started. I'm granted another opportunity to try again and if I don't take this I will regret it. It will always be the question of ... what if ? This is something that I need to fight for (developing perserverence) and I know that any other profession will never be the same for me. :love: optometry. That is why it hit me hard when I was dismissed from the first program. I regret the most of not sticking through the first program and trying my hardest. You can call it stubbornness or foolishness but I'M NOT GONNA SETTLE. I think everything has a purpose and this road block in my life was to teach me that. How far am I willing to go for optometry. In the meantime.. I will be starting Aug. 12th in the tropical island of Puerto Rico. Woohooo!!!

Last edited:
They accepted me as a first year. I know realistically who would repeat a year right? But this is my dream and it's about finishing what I started. I'm granted another opportunity to try again and if I don't take this I will regret it. It will always be the question of ... what if ? This is something that I need to fight for (developing perserverence) and I know that any other profession will never be the same for me. :love: optometry. That is why it hit me hard when I was dismissed from the first program. I regret the most of not sticking through the first program and trying my hardest. You can call it stubbornness or foolishness but I'M NOT GONNA SETTLE. I think everything has a purpose and this road block in my life was to teach me that. How far am I willing to go for optometry. In the meantime.. I will be starting Aug. 12th in the tropical island of Puerto Rico. Woohooo!!!

congrats. but have you thought about how you're going to finance all this? are your parents well off and are paying for it? Because if not you probably have already accumulated over 50k+ in debt and now you're about to add another 200000 to that amount... when you graduate you're going to be faced with a very competitive market with not so competitive pay.

Congrats. They let you in and so now its up to you to make it work this time. Don't worry about the loans, you can make up for it by living below your means for the first 2-3 yrs and you'll be fine then.

Why was it that you were put on academic probation? You said it was personal? No one on here knows you so spill it, it may help you this 2nd time around ;)

And definitely soak up the Spanish while you're there. If you can speak fluent medical Spanish by the time you're done, you'll be an excellent hire for someone.

As an update.. it's so worth it. I'm getting my white coat this year!!! :) What I went through I don't wish upon anyone else but it has made me stronger and look at things differently. I also know that I was not alone experiencing this because there are other opto students who have been through this before. All I want to say is for all who didn't believe in me. TAKE THAT!!! hahahaha.

For all who are pre-optometry, there is always another way, even if it's not what you wanted in the first place or it didn't work out like you planned. You might discover that there's a reason for everything. Maybe its not your time yet. DON"T GIVE UP and just be thankful for the opportunities you already have!!! Always look on the brighter side of things because MISERY loves company and once you are in that situation it's hard to get out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Passed my national boards part 1 first try!!! :) Don't give up to all the pre-optos and also optometry students who are going through tough times.

Reactions: 3 users