Need Major Help!

Started by Guhdar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Guhdar

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have registered for the PCAT and will be taking it in early January. However, I still do not know which book to study. I want to get my hands on the right material as I am not very good at taking standardized tests. I studied the Kaplan book two years ago when I took the test and about only 5 percent of the information was on the test. I was shocked because I paid good money for that book. I don't recommend that book at all.

So far, I am studying using YouTube and other online sources. I feel like even though I am studying the subjects that will be on the test, such as Chemistry, Biology, etc., the information that I'm going over will not be on the test. I have experienced this in the past. I just want to score in the 65th percentile or above. I wish I could make this possible. Need major help!
 
I took the PCAT in September and got a 92 percentile composite score. I used the Kaplan 2013-2014 book, the Barron's 6th edition PCAT prep, Kaplan DAT biology and chemistry flashcards (courtesy of a good friend), and I bought 2 Pearson online official PCAT practice tests. You're right - the Kaplan book alone is not adequate preparation. If you have money to spend, I recommend Dr. Collin's Self Study Guide. It's the best and very similar to the PCAT. I also recommend the Pearson practice tests. I did not spend the 370 dollars on the Dr Collin's guide because I was already blowing 200 on the test itself. When it comes to these things, I'm very frugal and either I'm going to get a good score or I'm not. With the materials that I used, I was able to get a 92 percentile so I think you can too. Good luck.