Need more materials...?

Grover2k9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up for the summer at college and I am gearing up for my summer. I am going to shadow an optometrist part-time and study for my OAT that will be early August.

So far I have the small 25 dollar Kaplan OAT review book that has the full 2 tests in it.

In addition to that, I have the TopScore CD with the full tests.

I feel like all I have is practice tests and no real study material.

Does topscore offer answer explanations? What other types of material should I get? I feel like I should have a comprehensive subject book or something of the like.

What other materials would you recommend specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that may just be way too much material.

I have a thorough knowledge of organic chemistry, I really dont feel the need to study it.

It is more biology and general chemistry that will be my weak points. My biology book was a 1400 page monster with size 8 font, very unreadable to say the least.

Would the Mcat Comprehensive review provide me with what I need? I can get it for <$20 on amazon.

Also - Are the kaplan materials from the class worth getting? I feel like they would be everything I need - I just dont want to overkill since I am tight on funds anyway.

Somebody on here sold me ALL of their materials from the Kaplan class. I was planning on using all of my notes and textbooks but Kaplan organizes it in a MUCH better fashion, and emphasizes what's important. It's all been a huge help for me! I'm taking the OAT on Saturday, if I do well enough that I don't feel like I need to retake it I'd be glad to sell it to you, a lot of it has been marked on but it didn't hinder my studying at all. I'll go through all of it and give you a price, if you're interested! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact that Kaplan is very helpful but the OAT Destroyer has both useful questions and a comprehensive solution set to the questions giving you a more broad background and explanation.

I would have to agree with Law on that point. Since i am taking the DAT i know that that the OAT is a very similar test. The Destroyer is extremely helpful in the DAT and i am sure that it is just as good in the OAT. Your best bet would be to get as much material as you possibly came to make sure you had a broad understanding of the necessary information. Once you have reviewed all the material, the Destroyer takes you to the next level. Good luck on your exam!

Does this OAT destroyer have a book that covers the material in detail?

I have plenty of sample tests and questions, I just need some preliminary study time in the material itself.

Does this OAT destroyer have a book that covers the material in detail?

I have plenty of sample tests and questions, I just need some preliminary study time in the material itself.

The destroyer is not a book like the Kaplan big blue book. Just has question and answers like practice tests from kaplan. It looks like a wire bound notebook that cost $160 i believe.

I'm in the same boat!
It has actually been a while since I took all my pre-req's. I am trying to start studying for OAT's so I can take it in Augst but I'm confused on what to study and what to get.
I bought the Kaplan OAT's book with 2 test.
My friend also gave me his MCAT Kaplan books and flash cards. Do you guys think if I use the review material from those books it should be close to OAT?

How about:

TopScore Pro® for the OAT http://www.scholarware.com/Study4oat.htm
and
OAT Prof http://www.oatprofessor.com/

are these any good? Anyone has any experience with them?

B

the oat is similar to the dat.. i used topscore achiever and then the dat desroyer(which was relly what got me tougher for the dat).. if you need a copy of the book its at orgoman.com

TopScore Pro® for the OAT http://www.scholarware.com/Study4oat.htm
and
OAT Prof http://www.oatprofessor.com/

are these any good? Anyone has any experience with them?

B

I used TopScorePro for the OAT and found it to be rather helpful. The questions they ask seem to be harder than the actual OAT, but it got you into the mindset of timing yourself and knowing where your weaknesses were. I really like the QR and RC sections.

As a sidenote, Scholarware is one of the exhibitors for Test Prep Week. Check out the following thread for more info. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=402696

I used the Mcat Princeton Review books for O. Chem and for the Math section. They were extremely helpful and well organized and they cut out a lot of the crap. I bought a general chemistry review book from amazon that was helpful and basic. Biology...I'm just going from what I remember from classes and also from the practice tests. The Mcat biology books don't go into as broad of information as the OAT needs (e.g. mcat doesn't cover plant biology, etc. mcat is more physiology based).

Anyways, get your hands on a used Kaplan/Princeton Review study guides. That's an excellent way to start. And then just chug through tons of practice problems which seems to be most helpful.

I'll let you know if this worked, I'm taking it on friday :D .

Thanks, I think i'm going to try the TopScorePro.

By the way do you guys know how long it takes for them to send out the results?

Grover2k9: It's a Wiley Self Teaching Guide called: "A self-teacing guide to chemistry concepts and problems". It worked well enough for me to brush up on it. I bought a Wiley guide for physics too but it really stunk. The chemistry one was a great brush up on general chemistry. Note: no organic chemistry is in the book.
If I could do it all over again, I would have stuck to the Kaplan OAT review books or the Princeton mCAT review books (which I use now).

Shirazyterp: If you are talking about the results of the OAT exam itself, they are given to you immediately. There is only multiple choice on the test (no written like on the mCAT) so it is scored immediatly. No waiting, the way I like it.