Need opinion from Walmart and Target pharmacist please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iknewit!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working for Walmart for 7 years. I think most of us in this forum might have heard of our notorious 4 errors per year story. I've never thought that I would have come this close of going to dummy school. I have made 2 mistakes within 2 months of moving to the new market. I am a floater ,going anywhere and everywhere, sometimes I have to drive up to 2 hours then work another 10 hours .

Anyway, my first mistake was a test strip ,written for test tid,ac -- the tech input for -- test 3 times daily -- missing before meals -- qualify for wrong direction

Second was insulin syringes written for 0.5 ml but input wrong for 0.3 ml -- qualifiy for wronf product.

I read from the old thread for someone that said you have many chances to catch mistake. Not always, if you 4 pts , some body else(other pharmacist on duty) visual but don''t care to look at prescription images then no help there, at counseling the syringes already in the bag so pharmacist was told that patient refused because it was just syringe. What I am saying here is that I don't have control over what other people do or don't that could prevent an error from happening.

I am ready to jump the ship. I am not going to wait until going to dummy school, come back and get fired. I am having a phone call interview with Target this Thursday. I know the grass is not greener on the other side but I can't stand with the stress of counting down the day of going to Dummy school anymore. I know that the scrt system is to learn from the mistake but this system doesn't have the way to grade the severity of your mistakes.

My husband (who is not pharmacist) thinks I am being over reacting but I have seen sooo many of my Walmart colleages come back from Dummy school thinking things will be ok but that's not always the case.

What would you do? Much appreciated for any input, espcially former Walmart pharmacist and Target.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly your mistakes seem trivial and I kind of think you're over reacting a little. I would stick it out with Walmart because when I was doing my APPE at Target there was not much tech help at all. I was talking to a pharmacist that went to dumb dumb school and nothing bad happened after. Do you know of people getting fired after bentonville?

Trailerpark. Yes, I think my mistakes are trivial but they are " qualify" as per scrt. I know atleast 3 pharmacists who got fired after come back from dummy school. I am going to go for the interview just so I have an idea about Target.

Thank you for you input.

P.s. Yeahhh, I hope I am over reacting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your mistakes really would be trivial at any other pharmacy, but at Wal-Mart, once your supervisor has logged them as a qualifying error, you can indeed be fired. Personally, I think the 4 mistakes/year is ridiculous. It makes no sense to have the same standard for someone working 40 hours per week, as someone working 16 hours per week. A % error rate would be a much more logical way to do it.
As for what you should do......well, its certainly always easier to find a job while you are employed, than to wait until you are unemployed. Is your supervisor someone you can talk to? I would try talking to them (don't tell them you are considering seeking another job), just tell them you are concerned about your error rate and ask them what suggestions they have for you. I think talking to your supervisor may help you get a better sense of what to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it the same store that reported these errors? How were they discovered? I don't report errors unless I discover them, and I don't discover them (once they've left the pharmacy) unless somebody complains. It sounds like there is a pharmacist looking at the original prescriptions on refills, looking for errors and reporting them. I would reject shifts there if it's the same store.

The policies are as you say. After you go to school, if you get four errors again within a rolling year a review board of other pharmacists will look at your errors and decide whether they want to keep you. I don't know how they would evaluate errors like that, but that is a way to grade the severity of the errors if it comes to that.

The policy is totally unfair - you get the same number of errors whether you work 60 hours/week at a busy store or 20 hours at a slow store, and it all depends on the pharmacists at the store. Many of them never report errors, and then there are people who go through refills looking for errors.

Reactions: 1 users