NEED OPTOMETRY SCHOOL ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bethalexa1020

Reaction score
I am currently going into my junior year of undergrad (Fall 2018) and I am going to be graduating a semester early bc i did dual enrollment in high school. My questions are when should I take the OAT (summer 2019?) and when do I apply to optometry school if intend on begin Fall 2020?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes if you plan on applying early in the cycle you should take the OAT summer 2019. Good luck!

So I am planning on applying for fall 2020 admission as well. The application cycle typically starts either the end of June or the beginning of July. I think this year it started on June 28th. The application cycle usually closes April 1st I believe. Also keep in mind a lot of schools do rolling admissions so the earlier you apply the better your chances might be. As for the OAT I will probably start studying for it in March and take it in June that way my scores will be ready by the time the cycle opens.

The OptomCAS website has a lot of information you may find helpful. In addition if you any other questions I’ll try to help!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am planning on applying for fall 2020 admission as well. The application cycle typically starts either the end of June or the beginning of July. I think this year it started on June 28th. The application cycle usually closes April 1st I believe. Also keep in mind a lot of schools do rolling admissions so the earlier you apply the better your chances might be. As for the OAT I will probably start studying for it in March and take it in June that way my scores will be ready by the time the cycle opens.

The OptomCAS website has a lot of information you may find helpful. In addition if you any other questions I’ll try to help![/QUOTE
Thanks! So will you be applying at the beginning of senior year?

Hey sorry just seeing this. For me it’s a little different. But if you are wanting to go right into optometry school the year that you graduate then yes you should apply in the beginning of your senior year or sooner as the applications typically open in the summer.

The OptomCAS website has a lot of information you may find helpful. In addition if you any other questions I’ll try to help!

Thank you for the information. How far ahead can you schedule the OAT Exam? I’m a senior now, and I’m planning to take the OAT in December during Christmas break of Fall 2019. Is this a good idea? I hope to submit my application early February to be admitted in the fall of 2020. Is this possible? That’s my plan so far.

Thank you for the information. How far ahead can you schedule the OAT Exam? I’m a senior now, and I’m planning to take the OAT in December during Christmas break of Fall 2019. Is this a good idea? I hope to submit my application early February to be admitted in the fall of 2020. Is this possible? That’s my plan so far.
It depends on your location and where you are as far as scheduling the OAT. I checked and some dates are unavailable or already booked for other important exams like MCAT, GRE, etc. I think that may be a good idea but maybe study for it over summer and take it end of summer is a better option. That is what I am doing.

As long as your GPA/ OAT and ec are strong december/feb should be fine. why not submit your application before or right after you take your OAT?

I actually just registered for my OAT about a week ago. I will be taking it on July 22nd. Whether submitting in February is good for you really depends on your other stats. For example, someone with a 3.8 GPA and a decent score on the OAT exam with some shadowing and extracurriculars will have a much better chance than someone with a say 3.2 GPA and an average OAT score. Now that is certainly not to say that the 3.2 would not get accepted but if it came down to a 3.8 GPA versus a 3.2 GPA applicant and all else being equal they would most likely pick the 3.8. I hope this kind of answers your question. :)

Reactions: 1 user