Need quick rundown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am so stupid. I missed the deadline for many of MD schools that I wanted to apply to. Why? because I am stupid. I have no other excuses.
I have never considered DO, but I want to go the DO route now. I dont want to waste another year of my life waiting.

I know nothing about the DO route. I dont even know what your AAMC or AMCAS is called.
What am i supposed to do? where do i begin? When are the deadlines? are there primaries and secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

With the little amount you know about the osteopathic profession there is no way an admissions committee would let you in.....

that being said you would have to submit the AACOMAS app (primary) and get it verified in a timely fashion, the secondary for each school, have a DO LOR (required for all but a very few schools) and then be granted an interview this late in the season.

GOODLUCK though

BTW I have been asked about osteopathic exposure in EVERY interview I have had. ADCOMS really don't like students using DO as an alternative MD

With the little amount you know about the osteopathic profession there is no way an admissions committee would let you in.....

that being said you would have to submit the AACOMAS app (primary) and get it verified in a timely fashion, the secondary for each school, have a DO LOR (required for all but a very few schools) and then be granted an interview this late in the season.

GOODLUCK though

BTW I have been asked about osteopathic exposure in EVERY interview I have had. ADCOMS really don't like students using DO as an alternative MD

ok, thanks
I do have some DO exposure. never considered DO, but just a coincidence that the doctor I shadowed was a DO
where can i find the MSAR equivalent for DO? I know its available online somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
The AACOMAS website has all the deadlines for the individual schools and there is a book out there...but most of the school's websites list what MCAT/GPA they normally take. Look under FAQs

The AACOMAS website has all the deadlines for the individual schools and there is a book out there...but most of the school's websites list what MCAT/GPA they normally take. Look under FAQs

ok, thanks

And actually most schools require a physician letter (DO or MD) and recommend a DO letter.. Very few require a DO letter

Hi guys
I am so stupid. I missed the deadline for many of MD schools that I wanted to apply to. Why? because I am stupid. I have no other excuses.
I have never considered DO, but I want to go the DO route now. I dont want to waste another year of my life waiting.

I know nothing about the DO route. I dont even know what your AAMC or AMCAS is called.
What am i supposed to do? where do i begin? When are the deadlines? are there primaries and secondaries?

Why not wait and reapply to both types of programs (MD, DO) this coming year? If you missed the deadlines at the schools you were most interested in, this would give you the opportunity to be among the first applicants in 2011. Have your AMCAS ready to go on 6/2 or whenever, and use the interim to gain more clinical exposure, improve your GPA, and expand your ECs.

And... if you find yourself genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine after reading through the literature above, apply to DO schools as well. IMO, you're doing yourself a disservice to apply this late to any school, especially with a perceived lack of understanding about the osteopathic field. Don't think of it as "waiting" -- think of it as "improving".

Why not wait and reapply to both types of programs (MD, DO) this coming year? If you missed the deadlines at the schools you were most interested in, this would give you the opportunity to be among the first applicants in 2011.

Second that.

Hi guys

If you're looking to start now, your chances of getting into a medical school, MD or DO, are exponentially worse than they would have been early on in the season.

It would be a better use of your time and money to wait the 6 months until applications reopen for the next cycle and in the meantime get some more clinical exposure, shadow a DO (maybe even get a letter), and get a job.

You'll thank yourself for it later.

What are your stats? If you have a strong GPA and/or MCAT then you should be able to get some interviews and maybe an acceptance or two. Don't listen to the "save the money" crowd. Medical school costs more than $250,000 over four years, so a couple hundred dollars of application fees should not deter you. Plus by waiting you would cost yourself a year of a doctor's salary. I applied in January and I received 7 interviews and was accepted to my top choice. Apply broadly and come up with a good personal statement and reason for applying late in the cycle.