need Rank List opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SewerRat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wassup,

Wanted to get some opinions on my Rank list. I'm pretty sure of my top three:

1) Highland
2) UC Davis
3) Denver Health

But I am having a real tough time with the next four or five. This is what I was thinking as of 5 mins ago:

4) Loma Linda
5) USC
6) Cook County
7) UCI
8) St. Lukes Roosevelt
9) NYP

This list has changed so many times so quickly and dramatically. Man this is a tough process.

Thanx guys
S.R.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do an extra year of residency if you don't have to!

Three years!

If you NEED to be an academic, do a one-year fellowship afterwards such as Sports Medicine, Ultrasound, International med or Trauma/Critical Care.

Remember that extra year of residency means one more year of being a resident under someone else's heel and 100-300K. No joke.

That being said, I would rank all of the three year programs you mentioned first.

My 2 cents (and 2 more years)

If you got your top three nailed down, I wouldn't sweat the rest. Given your list of very competitive programs, you're obviously a very competitive applicant. I'd be surprised to see you go below number 3. I remember worrying about my numbers 4, 5, 6, 7.....but in retrospect, what was I thinking? You've obviously bought into the 4 year concept (which I disagree with BTW) so I suppose you aren't listening to beyond's comments. I like Loma Linda best out of the ones you list beyond your top three, so I think I'd put them # 4 too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx Desperado for the advice.

I think that the 3 vs 4 issue has kinda been beaten to death by all the PDs i've talked to. when it comes down to it, there are great 3 year and there are great 4 year programs. i am really choosing my programs on other factors besides an extra 12 months.

by the way, Loma Linda came as a complete surprise to me during the interview trail. they are a STRONG program, already getting a great rep in cali.

As for the 3 year vs. 4 year debate, well, I'll add my $0.02:

I attend an expensive private medical school and have accrued considerable debt. Before I began interviews, I was gung-ho on 3 year programs simply because I wanted to get out and earn $$$ to eliminate my debt ASAP.

However, once I began interviewing and sampling the flavor of various programs, the 3 vs. 4 distinction lost its priority. Now, it barely even matters. My number 1 choice is a PGY 2,3,4 program and there are currently two other 4 year programs in the top 5 of my rank order list.

I say go to the program that gets you most excited when you talk to your friends about it. My number #1 is in a city that isn't too high on my list, nor do I particularly want to do a prelim./transitional year, but the clinical exposure at this place was extraordinary, and I could feel an intensity there that I didn't notice at other programs. Can you guess which program it might be? Hint: it's somewhere on your list. Go with the gut, not the science of ranking the program. Still, you won't be disappointed either way. Your top three are all interchangeable to me.

Think about sitting in a U-Haul about to drive to your program. Which locale puts the biggest smile on your face?

And BTW Dudes, I am sooooo frickin' stoked about the upcoming match!!!!!

wassup purulent,

Hmmm, well this is easy to narrow down, either USC or Cook County. Both pretty much the same program, awesome urban county joints with phenomonal pathology exposure. And if you say that it is in an undesirable city than I would say most people like Chicago more than LA so I am gonna guess USC. Am I right?

SewerRat:

"Those who tell, don't know; those who know, don't tell."

At least not yet. I plan to reveal all (interviews, board scores, grades, match spot) after March 18th.

Originally posted by Purulent DC
SewerRat:

"Those who tell, don't know; those who know, don't tell."

At least not yet. I plan to reveal all (interviews, board scores, grades, match spot) after March 18th.

You better!
:p

Q, DO