need reading suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuddlefish78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-pharmacy student looking for book recomendations. I have never been into reading non-fiction but I feel like I should get a few books read before interviews start next winter.

Are there any non-fiction medically related books anybody could suggest? A friend of mine is reading a book about the history of cancer and says it is really good. Stuff like that would be nice. Any other reading suggestions would be great, like papers or articles.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-pharmacy student looking for book recomendations. I have never been into reading non-fiction but I feel like I should get a few books read before interviews start next winter.

Are there any non-fiction medically related books anybody could suggest? A friend of mine is reading a book about the history of cancer and says it is really good. Stuff like that would be nice. Any other reading suggestions would be great, like papers or articles.

you don't need to read books to prepare for your interviews. Just use the SDN feedback section and be yourself. Not sure what this question is really about?

Sorry... I wasnt very clear. I was looking at questions asked in interviews and saw that rhey ask about current issues facing pharmacy, the affordable health care act, and what books you have read recently and or what is your favorite book. If some people have read some interesting books related to medicine and could suggest them out would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
They just want you to be aware of health-related current events. Honestly though, non of my interviews asked me about current events or anything like that. Just go look at the news, and go read the health/science section.

Hey! Im prepharm as well. My school required me to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is a really good read!

I was asked about current events in all of my interviews. It was a basic question, "What do you think will be the biggest issue in pharmacy in the next 5 years?" I also had one interviewer as me what I thought should be done in response to the sterility issues with the New England Compounding Center. Read the health section in the NYT to keep up with current events.

PS. The Emperor of All Maladies is an amazing book. All healthcare professionals should read it.

Although not current, "The Demon Under the Microscope" was really interesting. It's an easy read about the development of sulfa drugs.

We're currently reading "The Center Cannot Hold" for school, and while I wouldn't pick it up on my own time it's pretty interesting. It's about a woman that develops schizophrenia and how she eventually becomes highly functional.