Need Serious Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun228

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been following this forum for many years but never posted anything here. Here is my story:

I am a cancer survivor.
Came to US in 2001, not URM
Working full time since the age of 16 (held all kinds of labor jobs)
Have a big family
Escaping poverty throughout my life
This is my fourth time applying to dental school program
I will be taking DAT fourth time, past scores (15 AA, 17 AA, 18AA) ridiculously bad
Been working at my state dental school for last 3 years (did research in oral cancers, oral pathogens, orofacial pain), presented posters at AADR, research presentations, abstracts etc., shadowed 8 out of 12 specialties
Completed 220 credits so far in last 7 years

Ugrad GPA: 3.0
Grad GPA: 3.6

Overall sGPA: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.26

I can't see no career beside this one.
I have serious anxiety issues and because of that I am doing poorly on DAT. I need to know how to break the curse spell from my life :mad:

Applied to 15 schools so far
Please advice

I thought you could only take the DAT three times in your lifetime.

Members don't see this ad :)
18 AA is not that bad! Explain your story in your personal statement and emphasize the dental work that you've done.

Good luck!

18 AA is not that bad! Explain your story in your personal statement and emphasize the dental work that you've done.

Good luck!

I have been telling my story but no one really care about students like me. It all comes down to numbers. I don't think schools even read applications carefully at all.

i have been telling my story but no one really care about students like me. It all comes down to numbers. I don't think schools even read applications carefully at all.
gl!

I have been telling my story but no one really care about students like me. It all comes down to numbers. I don't think schools even read applications carefully at all.

I have an 18 DAT as well and my gpa is not as good. So, I think you got a shot. I completely agree about schools reading applciations. I think that due to the high volume of applicatins they get that they do not even read applications that dont meet the minimum requirements but why should they? I have no problem with the schools and how they run their admissions, I understand I got a different situation but its not their problem so they dont need to treat my app any differently then the next person's so mine goes in the file cabinet next to their desk which gets emptied out by maintenance each night...it is what it is. I do believe I have done enough that this time, a school will look at my app and give me a chance. You certainly seem to have the drive, now you just need a break like me. Dont lose the faith.

Been working at my state dental school for last 3 years (did research in oral cancers, oral pathogens, orofacial pain), presented posters at AADR, research presentations, abstracts etc., shadowed 8 out of 12 specialties

I retook DAT exam recently and scored 20/20/21 (Sciences/AA/PAT)

What are my chances now?

I retook DAT exam recently and scored 20/20/21 (Sciences/AA/PAT)

What are my chances now?

congrats!..i think you have a good shot now as long as you make sure you portray your story correctly....just make sure you apply to many schools mostly because the GPA

congrats!..i think you have a good shot now as long as you make sure you portray your story correctly....just make sure you apply to many schools mostly because the GPA

Portray my story correctly? I am not a sympathy seeker but I rewrote my personal statement. I hope its works this time around :D

Nice improvement on the DAT, congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey have you heard back from any schools yet?

I would apply at the school you worked in. Since they know you, you will have a better chance of getting in even with your grades. Also apply to many schools, not all schools are number chasers.

I would apply at the school you worked in. Since they know you, you will have a better chance of getting in even with your grades. Also apply to many schools, not all schools are number chasers.

Yes, I applied to the school I am working in. Thanks for the advice :D

Taking the DAT a 4th time is really not good, unless you can pull of 20+ on it. You sort of have to to make amends to your prior record.

Taking the DAT a 4th time is really not good, unless you can pull of 20+ on it. You sort of have to to make amends to your prior record.

Yeah you might be right but I couldn't do well in my earlier attempts due to various reasons.

Yeah you might be right but I couldn't do well in my earlier attempts due to various reasons.
I understand. Life's various circumstances can really prevent you from being successful. But sometimes you have to say **** them all and take matter into your own hands and own up to it.

I had to present my research in a month and I was in a rigid schedule in school from 8-4.

I didn't give a ****. I wanted to take the DATs and see if I have a shot at dental school. Studied from 8pm-2am for the DATs, did homework til 4am, went to sleep, woke up at 7 am. Repeat for about 3 weeks. I did fine. And I got first place in my presentation and got sent to a conference to present my abstract. Not bragging. Just telling you you need to not give a **** about anything right now if you really want dentistry. Life can take a number and take a hike when you've got priorities.

I understand. Life's various circumstances can really prevent you from being successful. But sometimes you have to say **** them all and take matter into your own hands and own up to it.

I had to present my research in a month and I was in a rigid schedule in school from 8-4.

I didn't give a ****. I wanted to take the DATs and see if I have a shot at dental school. Studied from 8pm-2am for the DATs, did homework til 4am, went to sleep, woke up at 7 am. Repeat for about 3 weeks. I did fine. And I got first place in my presentation and got sent to a conference to present my abstract. Not bragging. Just telling you you need to not give a **** about anything right now if you really want dentistry. Life can take a number and take a hike when you've got priorities.

I understand my priorities, my situations were hard when I have to work 50-60 hours a week can't even remember. Some people have to struggle more where they want to be. Things don't come easy on me. I never gave up my dream never will.

Time to cut some stuff out. You don't need to shadow anymore now that you have so much extracurriculars. Like I said, it's about what you want to prioritize now. It doesn't matter you have a lot of the resume boosters. A lot of schools are still strictly numbers.

Time to cut some stuff out. You don't need to shadow anymore now that you have so much extracurriculars. Like I said, it's about what you want to prioritize now. It doesn't matter you have a lot of the resume boosters. A lot of schools are still strictly numbers.

Thanks for the advice.

Any news? Have you spoken to the admissions people at your particular dental school? I would assume you've made some connections there who can put in a good word for you? Putting a face to the application really helps them to get to know you.

Any news? Have you spoken to the admissions people at your particular dental school? I would assume you've made some connections there who can put in a good word for you? Putting a face to the application really helps them to get to know you.

No news yet, 1 rejection letter out of 20 schools I applied to. I have spoken to the admissions people at my state, they said they are still reviewing my application. I hope something good happens really soon :D I wish you well on Dec. 3rd. Thanks for checking on me.

I think you taking the DAT 4 times isn't terrible. I know someone who scored less than you on her 4th attempt and got into Maryland! Keep your hopes high you will get it.

I think you taking the DAT 4 times isn't terrible. I know someone who scored less than you on her 4th attempt and got into Maryland! Keep your hopes high you will get it.

I know someone who got into UMD after taking the DAT 4 times and got 17AA is this the same person :D

LOL Doubt it. She is doing her 1st year at Maryland School of Dentistry. This goes to show that STATS are not always everything. The committee looks for multiple things. Eventually, if you keep trying you will get in. There is someone on here back in 2005 or 2006 who applied 5xs and finally got in. Every cycle is different.