need some advice about my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho-matic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 and am a junior in a BS in Nursing program. I also hold a BS in Biology. I think I am just now realizing at this point in my life how much I want to be a doctor. The more I learn about medicine, the more I want to know. I think I will enjoy a career in nursing to a certain extent but ultimately I feel being a physician will be infinately more satisfying.

I'm looking at the earliest being able to enter med school in August 2011. That would be me at 28 y/o entering med school, 32 when gradauting and 35/37 when I finish residency. That is a conflict for me because I always thought I would spend my early 30's getting established, starting a career and a family, building a home, traveling, etc. I know medicine is something I would really enjoy as a career but I'm wondering if the sacrifice at this point in my life is worth it. I would probably be 37 when I finish residency and part of me is feeling as though much of my life will have slipped by. I am wondering if any of you who made the plunge later in life had similar feelings and how you dealt with or overcame them.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 26 and am a junior in a BS in Nursing program. I also hold a BS in Biology. I think I am just now realizing at this point in my life how much I want to be a doctor. The more I learn about medicine, the more I want to know. I think I will enjoy a career in nursing to a certain extent but ultimately I feel being a physician will be infinitely more satisfying.

I'm looking at the earliest being able to enter med school in August 2011. That would be me at 28 y/o entering med school, 32 when graduating and 35/37 when I finish residency. That is a conflict for me because I always thought I would spend my early 30's getting established, starting a career and a family, building a home, traveling, etc. I know medicine is something I would really enjoy as a career but I'm wondering if the sacrifice at this point in my life is worth it. I would probably be 37 when I finish residency and part of me is feeling as though much of my life will have slipped by. I am wondering if any of you who made the plunge later in life had similar feelings and how you dealt with or overcame them.
Similar boat here, already graduated with BSN, but would by 29 at matriculation (can only afford to take two pre-reqs a semester while working full time and studying for MCAT). Have you considered NP/DnP or PA?

And remember, 24 is average age of med student at matriculation so your not terribly behind in terms of the sacrifices you'll be making/things you'll be juggling. I think if you can picture yourself happy without medicine, you should probably choose another path (like NP). If you cant picture yourself without medicine then you best give in now and follow your hearts desire (or otherwise be miserable and sick with regret that you didn't for many years to come, many more years than it would take to be a doctor).

Similar boat here, already graduated with BSN, but would by 29 at matriculation (can only afford to take two pre-reqs a semester while working full time and studying for MCAT). Have you considered NP/DnP or PA?

And remember, 24 is average age of med student at matriculation so your not terribly behind in terms of the sacrifices you'll be making/things you'll be juggling. I think if you can picture yourself happy without medicine, you should probably choose another path (like NP). If you cant picture yourself without medicine then you best give in now and follow your hearts desire (or otherwise be miserable and sick with regret that you didn't for many years to come, many more years than it would take to be a doctor).

I've definately thought about the CRNA route (had planned on that going into nursing) but medicine just seems to be becoming more and more alluring. CRNA school is also getting more competitive and I imagine it might approach the competitiveness of some other professional schools. I'm already going to be able to fit organic 1 and 2 lecture into my nursing schedule this year and am taking the labs in the summer. That only leaves calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your heart is saying medical school..DO IT!

I was 26yo, 2yrs ago and thought I would be giving up my life if I went the MD route and settled for nursing. I was actually scheduled to start an accelerated nursing program this summer and decided not to. Instead I am going to finish up my pre-med courses and apply to med school. Earliest I can start is August 2011 and I will be 30yo! Trust me! I wish someone told me at 26, go be an MD, I would have been starting in 2 months instead of 2 years!

If you follow your heart the rest will come.

I've definately thought about the CRNA route (had planned on that going into nursing) but medicine just seems to be becoming more and more alluring. CRNA school is also getting more competitive and I imagine it might approach the competitiveness of some other professional schools. I'm already going to be able to fit organic 1 and 2 lecture into my nursing schedule this year and am taking the labs in the summer.

That only leaves calculus.
Calculus is not required for med school (Maybe only one or two if any). Requirements are 1 year of bio with lab, 1 year of general chem with lab, 1 year of o chem, and an English class. Calculus will count towards the sGPA, so it doesn't hurt to take it at all, assuming you're gonna ace it ;).

If your competitive for MD school, you'll be competitive for CRNA school. I'd apply to both and tailor the personal statements appropriatley. MCAT for MD, and the GRE for CRNA + 1 year of critical care experience and/or CCRN certification (and graduation by year 2015 or you''' be mandated to get your DNP, in addition, to practice).

if medicine is your true heart's desire, nursing, whether NP or whatever, isn't gonna cut it. Trust me. I was premed till junior year, i wanted to switch back my majors after 1year in the nursing program but i thought i'd upset my mom so i switched from bio to chemistry as my second major. My plan was to jump into nursing, get some money and get out to med school. My plan was to work as a nurse for no more than 2 years but as it turns out, i may need to do one more year. I'm sticking to that.

If you started college as a bio major, ask yourself why you want to be a nurse. if flexibility is your greatest priority, then you can do nursing. Ask yourself, am i going to regret this decision? i'll be younger than you when i start but you can still have kids in school. I've seen pregnant residents walking around though i don't know how they do it with the crazy calls and 80/wk deal. I know some people hav kids in 3rd year. Go to mommd and read around. hope that helps.

I am in a similar boat. I am 26 years old and am just now starting with my prereqs. I was very concerned about my age at first, but some wise soul on here said, "eventually you will be 10 years older, the only difference is that you will be a doctor."
It kind of put things into perspective for me. I would love to have a family someday, but I am not going to put my dream on hold, to hold out for something that might or might not happen.