Need some advice and help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatguyinschool

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am about to finish up last semester of college, taking about 14 credits all science. Now I am confused and what my next step is.

Here is some of my stats (very poor and did not work hard enough throughout my college career)

Current sGPA which includes no math classes, a course I took in high school that got transferred, and two F's that I received if I did it correctly I am at a 2.48 gpa.
cGPA which includes this two Fs as well is a 2.95 which I am sure I can get it above the 3 mark next semester.

This semester I was able to pull of a 3.5 GPA which was all science classes about 12 credits, and an A- in Orgo, which I got an F in the previous semester. Made the deans list.

Did not take the MCAT yet.

So my question is:
Do I have any chance in medicine?
If so what field and what should I do next to get there?

Any other input would be appreciated like always.

Stay safe everyone,
thatguyinschool.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you have a chance to be a physician. First step is making sure that is what you want: do some shadowing, consult with people you trust (even better if they are physicians). Think about what is important to you in life. Medical training is a lot of delayed gratification, so make sure your reasons for pursuing it are compelling enough to drive you for years and years of hard work.

I think a clinical job like scribing or EMT work is a great place to get your beak wet. I spent several years as a volunteer EMT basic and it was very rewarding (at times). You get a taste of patient care and see sides of your community you may not have been exposed to before. The downside is that EMTs don't spend a lot of time around physicians. Scribing or ER tech can get you that exposure. Simultaneously, you'll need some GPA rehab. Take all the upper-level science courses you can that you haven't taken already: genetics, micro, immuno, cell bio, A&P, etc. Try to take them at a 4 year school.

Personally, my MCAT improved dramatically after I took a bunch of upper level science courses. My fundamental science knowledge was reinforced by these courses and my test-taking skills were improved. As a low GPA applicant you want to apply with a single, above-matriculant-average MCAT score if at all possible. Do more questions, do less content review. Trust your practice tests and only take it when they predict success.

If you decide medicine is for you, my final piece of advice is to grind hard for an MD acceptance. Assuming you are younger than 30 or so, don't even apply DO on your first application cycle. It will be enticing, but trust me you want to avoid the DO nonsense if you can: OMM sucks, taking multiple boards sucks and these things all happen while you are trying to learn actual medicine. (I'm not bitter at all). You are still in a place where you can get that MD acceptance.

Go back and read posts from instatewaiter, drmidlife, gyngyn, goro. Ignore most people in the premed forums. Best of luck to you and reach out if you need anything.

Hey guys I am about to finish up last semester of college, taking about 14 credits all science. Now I am confused and what my next step is.

Here is some of my stats (very poor and did not work hard enough throughout my college career)

Current sGPA which includes no math classes, a course I took in high school that got transferred, and two F's that I received if I did it correctly I am at a 2.48 gpa.
cGPA which includes this two Fs as well is a 2.95 which I am sure I can get it above the 3 mark next semester.

This semester I was able to pull of a 3.5 GPA which was all science classes about 12 credits, and an A- in Orgo, which I got an F in the previous semester. Made the deans list.

So my question is:

Stay safe everyone,
thatguyinschool.
Read this:

Reactions: 1 user

So my question is:

Stay safe everyone,
thatguyinschool.

Just as some inspiration, I was just accepted to two medical schools with sub-3.0 GPAs.
Listen to @Goro and show that you have what it takes. Score well on the MCAT.

However, stop worrying about what field. You're putting the carriage before the horse at that point. Worry about scoring wel on the MCAT and continuing that upward trend.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users