Need some advice (bad gpa)

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by dread090, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dread090

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey all,

It's been a long journey on beating my head trying to decide what I want to do with my life, but currently I'm looking at beginning to intern for PT and I want to do a bit of planning ahead.

I have already graduated from UCI with a B.S. in Bio, cum. gpa of about 2.5-2.6 (was a transfer student, 3.01 gpa at community college and 2.3 from UCI). I had taken the GRE last year and received a score of 1080 and plan to retake that. I have completed all pre-req's already minus anatomy lab since UCI did not offer it (would I need to take that?).

MY prereq gpa for PT is much higher however:
    C+ Anatomy
    A Physio
    B Physio lab
    C+/B G-Chem
    B/B English
    A/A Psych
    Taking stats soon
    Physics was horrible, after many retakes, final grades are C+/C+/B- for each respective qtr

Currently I had just gotten laid off and am now starting classes again to finish requirements for professional schooling and raise GPA alittle (it's pretty solidified as it is).

Besides retaking a million classes, what are my options and chances as of now?

2. Ukraine

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
  3. teamusaepee

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    dread090-

My question to you would be - how badly do you want to be a PT? The reason I ask is because from the stats you've posted, it is going to take a lot of effort to get there. Not impossible, but you are going to need to put in a lot of work, both to get in and then to graduate.

First, you need to decide where you want to apply. As you've said your GPA is pretty solidified, so I would definitely look at private schools and/or MPT programs, which tend to have lower GPA requirements (though certainly not all of them do). Don't narrow your search unnecessarily (i.e., only in-state, etc.) - find several schools that you honestly have the best chance of getting into. Look at their NPTE pass rates. Then make sure you meet all the pre-req requirements (many programs DO require anatomy lab, so you probably will have to take that somewhere). Possibly retake anatomy lecture and get a better grade. Add a dream school and/or in-state school to the list if you want to, but just realize that you aren't very competitive there grade-wise.

Definitely try to boost your score on the GRE. Fork out the cash for a prep class if you haven't already. If you really want this career it is a worthwhile investment. And you need it to offset your GPA.

Which brings me to my other point - consider how you are going to pass graduate-level coursework (i.e., most graduate programs require you to maintain a 3.0). If you have a 2.5-2.6 at the undergrad level how are you going to change your study habits (and/or time mgmt & personal life, etc.) to average 3.0 at the graduate level. Absolutely not saying it can't be done, but you should have a solid plan and an answer for the admissions committees who will be asking the same thing.

Best of luck to you - if this is what you really want, put in 150%, choose your schools wisely, and I think you can do it.

4. djtrackie

djtrackie New Member
    5+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Not to be demeaning, but are you sure you want to do PT? I noticed that you made some posts in the pharmacy forums a while ago... is PT just a backup plan? Because pharm and PT are two different things.

As for you grades, we all mess up. I know I did! But after you identified your current goal (PT), you should be going towards it 100%. That means making sure you get good grades on all your PreReq classes.

Some programs don't look down on retakes, just take those classes that you didn't get a B or better in. In a year, you can have at least 8 classes out of the way. Not doing good? get tutoring? Physics sucks? Suck it up and get tutoring. I sucked at physics too, but I trudged through it.

The hard work doesn't end after you get accepted.... it has only begun.

PT school = harder than undergrad. PT school teaches more interesting stuff, but you have to train yourself to have the capacity and persistence to remember large amounts of information. So it's best to get your study habits in check before. Remember that!

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am going to ask the obvious question? Are you sure you are cut out for challenging health care fields that you evidently have shown interest in? It is not easy to be a physical therapist (or a pharmacist for that matter) and even harder to be a good one. There is a reason that medical/health care programs have high GPA requirements. You need to DEMONSTRATE both academic talent, AND dedication. If you don't, then your grades suffer. If you can't balance school and other life stressors, then you won't be able to manage work and other life stressors.

Many people think that PTs are glorified massage therapists or walkers of old people but there is much, much more to it than that. We know more about movement, anatomy, and biomechanics than just about any other health care provider. You don't get that without study, dedication, and experience.

Sorry to be rude but someone had to say it. Maybe you don't have the right stuff.

6. dread090

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Just to clarify, no I dont know for sure if I want to do PT (or Pharm for that matter). Which is exactly why I'm attempting to explore this field through an internship. I did a lot of thought and decided I'd actually enjoy interning at a PT office more than pharm or med. Regardless... I like to formulate a plan AHEAD of time rather than do it on the fly, if possible. This is the reason I ask for advice, to weigh my options. This is also the reason for my posts in other forums such as pharm. I have no passion for anything unfortunately, I am still searching. My path is much different since it's undecided, it may appear as weak motivation but it's hard to motivate yourself without a solid goal.

In any case, all your input is of value to me, thanks! =)

7. OChemist

OChemist Health Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hi, Im new to this forum; I have a couple of questions.

Here are my grades
    A- Anatomy and Phy 1
    A Anatomy and Phy 2
    A in English
    B+ in Precalculus
    C in general chemistry
    A in organic chemistry
    A- Psychology

Im just missing 3 more courses.
    Physics based algebra and one chemistry class.

The school I want to go to is Hunter college in New York. What are my chances of getting in? my science gpa is a 3.4 right now. Im really mad because i like organic chemistry more than general chem and I study 6 hours a day for it. However hunter college does not need a organic chemistry course and wants easier courses such as general chemistry 1 and general chemistry 2 and Principles of Chemistry 1. I did not take general chem 2 yet but I plan to take it during the summer, I also want a degree in chemistry.

What are my chances of getting into the PT program? thanks.

Also instead of Physics algebra based I want to take the calculus based one, is it recommended? the physics chairmen wants me to take the honors class with him and everyone is telling me to do the physics calculus based.

If anything i might retake chem 1; or have organic substitute for it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. truthseeker

truthseeker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

GpA is probably a little low but not bad. Replacing the C with an A or B would help. Application really is determined by many things. Personal experience, volunteer hours and quality, interview (in some cases), letters of recommendation (who are they from) and GRE scores (in some cases). The higher GPA does get you in the door, obviously the higher the better but once you get past the filter (3.0) then the other stuff counts too. Dread can't get past the filter right now.

9. Uwash

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So I am in my Winter Quarter of my sophmore year and right now I have a 2.92 and am taking classes required for a Biology (Physiology) Major. My GPA thus far is pretty bad, and I haven't done any volunteer or work for PT. I really want to focus on school right now, but in the summer plan on applying for a physical therapy aide position to get some work experience, however I just got a job offer to work at a camp for physically disabled children and children with hearing, sight, and speech impairments. Any thoughts if it would be a good decision to work at the camp over getting an aide or intern position?

10. callmecrazy

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    If it were me, there would be no question about choosing the camp over an aide position. It is a unique experience you may not get again, and the PT clinics will still be there when you get back. If you are concerned about getting in PT hours, I would suggest finding a place to volunteer where you spend maybe 2 hours a week. It's a small amount of time to commit, but it will quickly add up. Also, will you have a few weeks between when classes end and camp begins or when camp ends and classes begin? You could spend that time shadowing like it's a full-time job, and compile a comprehensive PT experience quickly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...