Need some advice! FL resident...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snook

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres my story:

I applied to med school last year (all FL expect FIU and UCF, and some out of state private schools) with a 3.6 GPA 29 MCAT (9PS/8V/12BS) with 1.5 year research, honors thesis, research fellowship, poster, tons of shadowing, a little community service, working at the hospitial 40hrs a week during summer, and good LORs. I ended up getting rejected from 10 medical schools (1 interview).:( I was even instantly rejected from UF last cycle by an automated email. (I called UF admissions today and the lady said they screen subsection scores below a 9 but she did not seem that confident. Can anyone verify? Anyway after getting globally rejected I decided to do SMP. Right now I have a 3.44 sGPA a 3.54 overall uGPA and a 4.00 graduate (SMP) GPA. I retook the MCAT and only got a 30N (10/8/12) which kinda blows because I was scoring 32-34 and between 8-11s on verbal. I had only slept one hour the night before and felt like voiding before even taking the exam. I am plan to apply MD to FL schools and some out of state private schools for 2010 acceptance. Between now and possible matriculation in Aug 2010 I am considering doing a NIH IRTA fellowship.

Do I have a shot at getting in any allopathic med schools? Should I retake the MCAT? Should I just forget MD and go DO? Mac n cheese or ham sandwich or both for dinner? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll have a decent shot at MD schools with your excellent SMP performance. It would have been nice to have a better MCAT but I would jsut apply this cycle and have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out.

Do I have a shot at getting in any allopathic med schools? Should I retake the MCAT? Should I just forget MD and go DO? Mac n cheese or ham sandwich or both for dinner? Please help!

Yes.

No.

No.

I would personally go with both :)

I think people underestimate how important how you describe your experiences - a lot of people get caught up in the numbers game, and while your numbers are not super competitive for UF and perhaps Miami, you are right on average with USF and FSU. Both those schools place a pretty high emphasis on volunteering/community service/clinical experience.

I wouldn't rule out UCF and FIU for next year. UCF especially - I really wonder how they are going to attract the same caliber of students next year when there won't be money factor.

Don't re-take the MCAT.

Apply early, broadly to many MD schools, and also apply to a few DO as well.