1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice from the wise and experienced

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tigerfan2007, May 7, 2007.

1. tigerfan2007

tigerfan2007 tigerfan2007
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looking for some advice on what to do before med school starts. I have been out of school for over a year and only working and I feel like I'm getting dumber from goofing around so much. Has anyone else ever been in this boat? I'm not trying to sound like a dork (I rarely plan ahead like this), but are there any good ideas for preparing for year 1? Is it worth getting certain text books or study guides ahead of time.

Thanks for everyone's help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope nope and nope. You'll get back in the swing of things within a week, no problem. Anything you study now is probably not going to be relevant to your professors' focus and will be the equivalent of only a few days of material once you start school.

Believe me when I say you'll look back on this time and be thankful that you took every opportunity you had to do whatever you wanted to do.

4. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do some reading (for fun that is). I've found that it keeps my mind in pretty good shape during down times.

5. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Definitely don't do any studying before starting med school - you'll get plenty of that next year. Rest up and have fun.

6. mrpankration

mrpankration Member
    10+ Year Member

I was in your same boat. I was out of school for a year and worked before med school. Don't worry, if you developed good study skills in college they will still be there in med school even if you haven't used them for a while. You may need to adjust your methods of studying, however, to handle the volume of material covered in med school. If I were you I would enjoy your remaining free time as much as possible. You will be in the thick of studying soon enough, no need to start early! As an aside, med school is very demanding, but totally doable. You will read lots of posts on here with people complaining and making it seem way more horrible than it really is. You will study a lot but there is time for outside activities as long as you set a study schedule and stick to it. Don't let people psych you out.

7. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Find some women who look like those in my avatar. Examine their anatomy and report back to us.

8. WhoisJohnGalt

WhoisJohnGalt NYC Psychiatrist
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would leave out veiny girl though... CM might not be too happy when you report back about her penis ;)

9. Benoit

Benoit Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :thumbup:

10. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was out for almost 4 years. You'll be fine. It doesn't take very long to get into the swing of things.

11. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Trudat! :thumbup: (visions of The Crying Game)

{WIJG} ;)