Need some advice on apps and life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm think I'm applying this year and when I apply I should have about a 3.4c and 3.2-3.3s. I have not yet taken the MCAT but I do not intend to apply if I score less than 509- my plan was to apply to all FL and TX schools in addition to all HBCUs (I'm URM). In addition, I've given thought to applying D.O. but I know very little about that app process. Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

Also, I tend to feel inferior seeing as I come from an HBCU with a less than stellar GPA. I feel like such a loser because I'm already 25 and I still feel like I've achieved nothing. I come from a rough upbringing and KNOW I should be happy that I graduate soon but I feel like a perpetual loser.
 
Do well (505+) on the MCAT and you should be fine for MD. Provided you have good ECs, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and shadowing

Really, its that simple?

I think I have good ECs but they're probably just okay: hospice volunteering, physician shadowing (EM & IM), leadership positions, research (organic chemistry), a summer research program and I may be taking a graduate anatomy course this Summer. In addition, I'm part of the Honors college
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should probably post this in the WAMC thread to get some more advice but from my understanding, 3.4 and a 505 as an URM is fine for MD. I recommend some nonclinical volunteering though (like soup kitchen, tutoring kids in undeserved areas etc...)
 
You should probably post this in the WAMC thread to get some more advice but from my understanding, 3.4 and a 505 as an URM is fine for MD. I recommend some nonclinical volunteering though (like soup kitchen, tutoring kids in undeserved areas etc...)

I have before but they're not very helpful unless you have an MCAT sore already. Thanks for the help! I do actually have nonclinical volunteering (tutoring) but I could always use more.
 
I have one more question: due to some prior research engagements I'm somewhat sure that I want to peruse neurosurgery and I know that going to a "top ranked" school helps in matching into this specialty. What kind of MCAT score would I need to get to even get a glance from a Top 20 (or do I need to go to one at all)?
 
Has anyone done an NIH IRTA post-bac? I'm thinking of doing an NIH IRTA post-bac in neuroscience but I'm wondering if this would help my app at concerning top schools?