Need some advice on dropping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vc84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of in a dillema. So I have already graduated and am taking biochem and Anatomy right now. Biochem is required for 2 schools that I have applied to, but Anatomy isnt required for any that I have applied to, I just took it because it was reccommended. Also I am studying fot the OATs right now, I will be taking them at the end of this month. But I need all the time I can get, so I was thinking of dropping Anatomy (I mean its not a hard class, but it takes up A LOT of time) But If I drop I would get a W, this would be my second W (dropped calc in the summer)...would schools look bad upon this W in Anatomy?? Any advice would help...

By the way I did already have one interview, they are just waiting on OAT scores, but they did ask me at the interview about these classes I intented to take and like when they would finish.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it looks bad to schools, they will definitely ask why you withdrew from courses if you get interviewed. and if your answer is to study for the OATs, i doubt that they will look very kindly on it, because everyone else had to do the same.

Also, you are only taking two courses?? part time student already? schools prefer to see you can handle the workload, and can handle the workload of a fulltime student.

I think VC84 has already showed that he/she can handle full time workload in undergrad. It would be useless to do full time taking classes that he/she won't need.

Its kinda difficult to answer your question because there are a number of factors to consider. How's your gpa? What kind of an OAT score do you think you need? How prepared do you feel about taking the OAT? Can you take Anatomy next quarter if you withdrew from it?

I would say that if you really feel that you could use the extra time to prepare for the OAT and can retake Anatomy next quarter, then I would withdraw from the course. Remember, Anatomy is not a pre-req., and this will be your last chance to take the OAT for this application cycle. So you should do everything possible to ensure that you get a high enough mark on your OAT.