Need some advice on interviews/year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayfucius

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the rundown. I'll be starting my prelim medicine year this July and I don't have a PGY-2 position (got interested in anesth late, long story, etc). So I'll be applying for advanced spots. Since my wife cannot leave the city we're in for 2 years, I can't take a CA-1 spot anywhere...so basically I'm going to have a year off before starting PGY-2 (if I match).

Here's where I need some advice. When I'm interviewing and they ask me what I am going to do in that year after internship and why, what's the best thing to say? I was planning on going with the truth about the wife situation and telling them I will do some research/moonlighting (which is what I was planning)...is this lame? Anyone have any similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

so you are going through the match again this year but for CA-1 positions in 2010? do they do that that far in advance? there are no CA-1 spots in the city you are in I take it.
Why don't you and your wife just live apart for one year, or do you have kids?
otherwise I say tell the truth.

When I apply this fall I'll be applying for CA-1 spots that start in 2010, same as for all 4th year medical students applying. The difference is that I'll already be in my internship and then I'll have a year off.

I'm planning on telling the truth, just wanted some advice to see what kind of things to do in my 'year off' will make me a better candidate/not look bad. My plan was research/moonlighting type stuff. And also if anyone has had a similar experience it would be helpful just to see if they really look down upon it or not.