vxmorpheusxv

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey, I'll try and make this brief as possible.

Due to a number of unfortunate circumstances (some as a result of my own actions, others financially related), I find myself presently with approximately a 2.0 GPA and plans to eventually attended medical school. I am a semester away from completing a B.S in psychology (if I choose) with all the premed requirements fulfilled. What I had planned to do was enroll in a Master's Program in Physiology at my current school (the details of which i worked out with the program head) and through this program enrich my grades and ultimately attend medical school.

However, as of late I have been considering prolonging my undergraduate career by going for a degree in Biomedical engineering. The reason for this is twofold; 1) If I do ultimately go on to medicine I would love to utilize the knowledge this field gives me to potentially utilize in research, and 2) as a fallback if this all doesn't work out as I hope, for I would not want a career in Psychology.

My question primarily is: would this be a poor choice to make if I do ultimately choose to go to medical school? With my delays in schooling I am beginning to consider other factors in my life (family, marriage) which i would not want to endanger by pursing a dream that while important to me, does not trump over starting a family with the person I am in a relationship presently (she is in her 2rd years of med school). I am unsure as to whether I should explore this option to see if I enjoy the work, or if I should try and work towards medical school presently with all I can muster.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cbrons

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Jungle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey, I'll try and make this brief as possible.

Due to a number of unfortunate circumstances (some as a result of my own actions, others financially related), I find myself presently with approximately a 2.0 GPA and plans to eventually attended medical school. I am a semester away from completing a B.S in psychology (if I choose) with all the premed requirements fulfilled. What I had planned to do was enroll in a Master's Program in Physiology at my current school (the details of which i worked out with the program head) and through this program enrich my grades and ultimately attend medical school.

However, as of late I have been considering prolonging my undergraduate career by going for a degree in Biomedical engineering. The reason for this is twofold; 1) If I do ultimately go on to medicine I would love to utilize the knowledge this field gives me to potentially utilize in research, and 2) as a fallback if this all doesn't work out as I hope, for I would not want a career in Psychology.

My question primarily is: would this be a poor choice to make if I do ultimately choose to go to medical school? With my delays in schooling I am beginning to consider other factors in my life (family, marriage) which i would not want to endanger by pursing a dream that while important to me, does not trump over starting a family with the person I am in a relationship presently (she is in her 2rd years of med school). I am unsure as to whether I should explore this option to see if I enjoy the work, or if I should try and work towards medical school presently with all I can muster.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I want to do if I don't get into med school on my first round:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/graduate/mapp/

It's run by Dr. Martin Seligman (learned helplessness theory)... he is pretty much my role model.

zenlike

I'll see you in health.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Why do you have a 2.0? That doesn't speak very well about your academic abilities.

In any case, I would recommend that you forget about getting a second major and retake all of the classes that caused you to have such an abyssmal GPA and get "A"s in them. I would then apply to DO schools because they will take your most recent grade for a given course. I would say that you should have *atleast* a 3.0 GPA before even thinking about DO schools. I don't know anything about Carribean MD schools, maybe someone has some better advice. But I'm assuming you'll want to go to school in the US due to your relationship.

I'm only barely competitive at MD schools with my 3.5. The average matriculating GPA for my state school is 3.8.

You'll also have to take into account that your SO may need to move in 2 years for her residency and then she may need to move again once she finishes her residency.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.