need some advice on some options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator2255

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I've had the opportunity of being accepted at LMU, WCUCOM, and LUCOM. I am currently on the waitlist at BCOM, ARCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, WVSOM, and VCOM Auburn. I still have upcoming interviews at Campbell and KYCOM, but I will probably not attend because I do not want to spend any more money and the Campbell interview is for a waitlist spot and KYCOM is pretty comparable to LMU. Out of the three I've been accepted to I would probably attend LMU, but I have heard that some of the rotations are pretty bad. Anyways, I was just wondering if I should put down my deposit with LMU and try to start getting things figured out with the school or wait out for one of the schools that I am on the waitlist. The only school I feel that would probably be better due to location and rotations would probably be LECOM but the chances of getting off the waitlist there will probably be pretty slim due to their SMP program.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

LMU off your acceptance list and LECOM-B off the waitlist followed by WVSOM. Congrats on the success this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, congratulations! I actually just wrote a post about this very question--there are lots of factors that go into making a decision, so hopefully it can also be of some help! I am not too familiar with these schools as I didn't apply to any of them. Obviously you can't depend on getting off the waitlist, but there are things you can do to possibly move you closer to the top of the list. As far as rotations go, I think you are right about making that one of your concerns. Rotations do matter, and I know a lot of people would agree that a bad rotation can really sour your opinion of a specialty and a good rotation can convince you that that is your life's calling. Realize that at probably every school, there will be good rotations and poor rotations. Once you're in school, make friends with your coordinator and do some legwork to try and secure the better rotations. Best of luck with the decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like WVSOM (just you don't get many electives, but if you want primary care, it would be amazing) off your waitlist and I thought KYCOM seemed nice because it has a much smaller class and the town is a little bit busier than Harrogate/Middlesboro of LMU.

WCU and LU have horrible reputations on SDN and I don't know much about VCOM-Auburn. LECOM-B really likes update letters from what I have been told, but I been hearing a lot of rumors about how the school is going downhill on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
I like WVSOM (just you don't get many electives, but if you want primary care, it would be amazing) off your waitlist and I thought KYCOM seemed nice because it has a much smaller class and the town is a little bit busier than Harrogate/Middlesboro of LMU.

WCU and LU have horrible reputations on SDN and I don't know much about VCOM-Auburn. LECOM-B really likes update letters from what I have been told, but I been hearing a lot of rumors about how the school is going downhill on SDN.
So you think WVSOM is an overall better school than LMU?

Yes, I think WVSOM is the best school out of the ones you listed. It's been established for a way longer time but I do realize the tuition is very expensive for out of state students. I have visited LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM, and LECOM-B from your list.

Hey SDN,

So I've had the opportunity of being accepted at LMU, WCUCOM, and LUCOM. I am currently on the waitlist at BCOM, ARCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, WVSOM, and VCOM Auburn. I still have upcoming interviews at Campbell and KYCOM, but I will probably not attend because I do not want to spend any more money and the Campbell interview is for a waitlist spot and KYCOM is pretty comparable to LMU. Out of the three I've been accepted to I would probably attend LMU, but I have heard that some of the rotations are pretty bad. Anyways, I was just wondering if I should put down my deposit with LMU and try to start getting things figured out with the school or wait out for one of the schools that I am on the waitlist. The only school I feel that would probably be better due to location and rotations would probably be LECOM but the chances of getting off the waitlist there will probably be pretty slim due to their SMP program.

Thanks
This is going to take more effort on your part, but my advice is to do some data mining on SDN, and identify people who actually attend all schools under consideration. Then PM them to get the actual pro's and con's associated with each school. All of these school's have pluses and minuses associated with them, so you should be an astute consumer and work to identify the best school worthy of your time and $. However, that said, WVSOM would be my top recommendation based upon what I know.

I would go to WVSOM and then followed by LMU on your list of accepts.

I'm totally biased here but decided I'm going to give my input.. I had a chance to interview at some of the other schools you listed on your wait list. I ended up getting into WVSOM and am 90%+ sure I'm going to matriculate there. I was incredibly impressed with their facilities and the opportunities they have with their OPTI and statewide rotations they've had set up for a while. They have a big presence in WV and surrounding areas with their large alumni base. Just understand the emphasis on PC, though if you work hard and see yourself specializing or going into surgery, you aren't necessarily limited. The resources are there. I truly think it's a diamond in the rough. Other than that, I'd agree with the above, follow with LMU on your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users