MD & DO Need some advice please. Do I still stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyang517

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Background: I have just graduated a semester early with a degree in biochem and have a cGPA of 3.91 and a sGPA of 3.94. My original plan was to apply for MD and DO for this cycle, so I will have 1 gap year.

But my main concern is the MCAT. After studying it for the past 3 months through TPR, I don't seem to show ANY signs of improvement. I don't have much obligation, so I spent around 45hrs each week studying. I take a practice tests every month and they all turned out to be ~22 (P7 V5 B10) with no improvement. I am registered to take the MCAT in a little bit more than a month. After reading some of the MCAT avg on SDN, I am not sure if I can raise my score to be competitive enough for MD or DO in this short period of time.

I think my EC are okay (?):
~400hrs of volunteering hours in the emergency room and at a local open clinic
~350hrs (7 semesters) being an organic TA
~100hrs of research
~100hrs of shadowing MD as a hospital intern in Kenya
~10hrs of shadowing MD in US

I really don't know what to do. I am some-what confident in all my other criteria, but my terrible MCAT score is holding me back. Do you think I can still apply to MD schools? DO? Should I cancel my MCAT date and just wait to apply next cycle? Should I just move onto something else, like PA?

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is awesome and your ECs look good as well, but you're right, if anything could potentially hold you back from getting accepted to an MD or DO school, it would be your MCAT.

My advice to you isn't to wait to apply, but maybe cancel your MCAT and maybe take it later in the cycle, maybe June instead of May. Yes, you won't get your score until July if you do so, but getting your application in by July would still make you a competitive applicant considering your GPA, ECs, and assuming a decent MCAT.

Until then, I think it's important you get some sort of tutoring for your MCAT studies. I mean, it seems like from your GPA, you're a very smart individual. However, your practice MCAT scores don't reflect that, and my suspicion is that its related to test taking skills. To put it another way, I don't think you have a deficiency in understanding content, I think you have a deficiency in applying that content abstractly. Get some tutoring, get some practice, do well on the MCAT, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your advice! I was so set on getting my MCAT in before July that I didn't even think about this.

I noticed my weakness for MCAT is definitely reading comprehension under a timed/stressed environment. When I reviewed my errors, mostly of my mistakes are due to misreading the question/answer choices/passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've been taking the TPR diagnostics, they're largely useless. Take an AAMC exam then evaluate.

Reactions: 1 users
You might need to take a different approach. The MCAT is a very different style test than what is in most college classrooms. If you know how to use critical thinking and logic your way through an answer, you can usually narrow it down to at least a 50/50 with little background info on the question. You should also be spending more time reviewing a test than it took to take it. you should be to the point where you can focus your study from trying to know the major concepts to your major weak points.

Otherwise your app is very strong, with your GPA and EC, a 29+ should give you a decent shot at home state schools and others, but obviously aim for 32+.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't think about applying until you've got your MCAT score in hand. Do not take the MCAT until you are ready. Clearly, the VR section needs the most work.

Anything >25 will be fine for most DO programs, and >30 fine for many MD programs.

A 22 will limit you to the newest DO programs (but avoid LUCOM).

Hi,

Background: I have just graduated a semester early with a degree in biochem and have a cGPA of 3.91 and a sGPA of 3.94. My original plan was to apply for MD and DO for this cycle, so I will have 1 gap year.

But my main concern is the MCAT. After studying it for the past 3 months through TPR, I don't seem to show ANY signs of improvement. I don't have much obligation, so I spent around 45hrs each week studying. I take a practice tests every month and they all turned out to be ~22 (P7 V5 B10) with no improvement. I am registered to take the MCAT in a little bit more than a month. After reading some of the MCAT avg on SDN, I am not sure if I can raise my score to be competitive enough for MD or DO in this short period of time.

I think my EC are okay (?):
~400hrs of volunteering hours in the emergency room and at a local open clinic
~350hrs (7 semesters) being an organic TA
~100hrs of research
~100hrs of shadowing MD as a hospital intern in Kenya
~10hrs of shadowing MD in US

I really don't know what to do. I am some-what confident in all my other criteria, but my terrible MCAT score is holding me back. Do you think I can still apply to MD schools? DO? Should I cancel my MCAT date and just wait to apply next cycle? Should I just move onto something else, like PA?

Thank you so much!!

If you've been taking the TPR diagnostics, they're largely useless. Take an AAMC exam then evaluate.

Yeah, I have only taken TPR practice tests so far. I have heard they are harder than the AAMC exams. So hopefully my score will be a little bit better.

Thanks, Woltej1 and Goro. It's nice to heard some words of encouragement. I will keep those advice in mind. The last thing I want to do is rush to take my MCAT when I am not ready.

Take the MCAT like you are going to be married to that score. You will be.
A single good MCAT score is among the most important aspects of a strong application.
Remember, an MCAT score, like Herpes, is forever.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users