Need some advice! Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opal22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT yesterday. I?m pretty disappointed about three of my scores. I thought I was going to do better. I was really shocked when I saw my reading and math scores, I had never got anything lower than a 20 on reading comp test on top score, and was scoring 17?s on the math. Do you guys think I?ll still have a chance to get into to dental school? I have a 3.42 science/ 3.56 overall, I have a lot of community service, and I applied mid-June to 12 schools. I really do not want to re-take the DAT, it was such a nightmare!!! Do you guys think I might have to?
If anyone could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate.
My scores:
AA 18
PAT 15
QR 13
RC 16
BIO 22
GC 20
OC 19
TS 20

Members don't see this ad.

i'd retake it if i was u. however with your gpa being decent there is a chance some schools might overlook the below average scores. but i wouldn't want to leave it to chance.

Ask some adcoms to see what they say, but I think you might have to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
opal22 said:
I just took the DAT yesterday. I?m pretty disappointed about three of my scores. I thought I was going to do better. I was really shocked when I saw my reading and math scores, I had never got anything lower than a 20 on reading comp test on top score, and was scoring 17?s on the math. Do you guys think I?ll still have a chance to get into to dental school? I have a 3.42 science/ 3.56 overall, I have a lot of community service, and I applied mid-June to 12 schools. I really do not want to re-take the DAT, it was such a nightmare!!! Do you guys think I might have to?
If anyone could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate.
My scores:
AA 18
PAT 15
QR 13
RC 16
BIO 22
GC 20
OC 19
TS 20

I think your science score is excellent and so is your GPA! It has been suggested to me that some schools do not weight QR and PAT very heavily. My stats are as follows:
BS chem/math 3.1, MS chem 3.5, MBA 3.4
DAT: 21 RC, 20 org, 19 gen, 18 bio, 17 pat, 14QR
I recieved an invitation to interview at Baylor Sept 3rd. Have not heard from Houston or San Antonio as yet.

I may retake the DAT and have been studying new materials. May I suggest a real good book "Beyond Problem Solving and Comprehension, An Exploration of Quantitattive Reasoning" by Arthur Whimbey and Jack Lochheed. It is the only book I have found written specfically for the MCAT and DAT QR sections. As for reading comprehension, you might get a copy of AcrReader Pro -Duluxe. I have found it improves my reading on screen (dont' need to go over 300wpm). I am an accomplished portrait artist and don't really believe the PAT accurately measures perceptual aptitude (at least not artistic). It is really tough to find time to practice the full DAT with TopScore or other package, but it is a way to build endurance and confidence. The studying won't hurt and will keep you sharp - even if you don't take it again right away.

It's really too soon to worry about not getting interviews. Look at the dates on Dental interview summaries from last year in the PreDental Interviews section.

Very best of luck! :)

Thank you so much for your advice. It made me feel a lot better. I think you defiantly have a chance, so don?t worry. I will just wait to see if I get some invites. Do you know how long before you can re-take the test. Thanks.

opal22 said:
Thank you so much for your advice. It made me feel a lot better. I think you defiantly have a chance, so don?t worry. I will just wait to see if I get some invites. Do you know how long before you can re-take the test. Thanks.

You are very welcome! I hope that the advice helps. I noticed my mis-spelling of the reading software - it's AceReader not "acrReader". Not that I am marketing the idea. I don't think anyone can study under stress or take a test like that DAT reading above 250 to 300WPM and expect to have 100% comprehension. I still prefer reading a printed page to the screen but, the software has helped me.

i'd retake....unless u are already getting interviews

those sub-16 scores are going to be red flags.

toothcaries said:
i'd retake....unless u are already getting interviews

those sub-16 scores are going to be red flags.

That sounds like good advice. Specification limits, distributions and control limits are very interesting. How do you know that 16 is a "Red Flag"?