Need some advice please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobCat3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my finals last friday, i took the weekend off to relax and create a study schedule.

Right now I have my test date set for Jun 8th, but I feel I should push it back

My schedule now is to read biochem first, then micro/immuno with pharm, then do systems for anatomy, embryo, phys, path, pharm. All the while annotating in FA and doing questions. And the last week to cram first aid.

In order for me to do all that I need to read 120+ pages and do questions everyday, at that rate im not sure ill retain much.

I took the NBME #1 today, my first day of dedicated study time, and got a 226 (530) on it. Not sure what to make of that.

My goal is a 240+.

I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me on how to study, what to study, and if I can get it all done at that rate and know enough to reach my goal or if I should push back the date 1 week and slow down the pace.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

No need to push it back unless you're going to have a hard time getting motivated. I'm taking the test June 8 too, and my finals aren't over until Thursday. I'm not going to start studying until Sunday -- but 3 weeks is plenty long for me. My stamina is just not that great. Your plan sounds perfectly fine to me. At our school they recommend studying 8 hours a day, and you can take weekends off or do half days. I'm only taking one day off a week since I'm already a little short on time. I think if you can put in 8 hours of good quality studying, you'll do great. And don't forget to do lots of questions. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice...

what's your plan to cover the material in three weeks?

I haven't quite mapped out everything yet, but I'm basically going through by organ systems starting with my least favorite/most rusty (neuro and renal) and ending with the most recent pathophys class (endocrine). I'll cover a few subjects separately, like biochem, behavioral, and miscellaneous stuff like derm, musculoskeletal and neoplasia (not spending too much time on those). I'll be working through First Aid as a guide with BRS Path and Phys for further reading. I'll also go through a list of bugs and drugs, a few to memorize each day.

Using USMLE World, I'm going to alternate doing 50 and 25 random, timed questions a day -- allowing 1 hour for 50 questions and 1 hour to review. I'm doing a partial exam a week before the test (probably a 2-3 hour block of questions), and then reviewing FA and memorizable stuff the last 3 days before the exam.

As far as my daily schedule, I'm hoping to get going in the morning with questions, then just plug through First Aid and BRS the rest of the day, maybe with more questions in the afternoon. I'm looking to study 8 hours a day, but we'll see how I do with that. So, that's my plan so far. If I have any revelations (or more likely panic attacks)..well..I'll probably come crying here. :D