Need Some Advice, Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jakeandsadie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice about job training/entry as an older (51 year old) non-trad student. I have a BS in a science field (GPA 3.53) and have worked for many years as a freelance technical writer. It was a great field for me (I made about 70K/year) until the recession gutted it.

I am looking for something much more secure, and have always liked the medical fields. Recently, I've taken all the pre-reqs for that would qualify me for Nursing and Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA) school, with a GPA of 4.0. I like physical therapy a lot more than Nursing (I've been observing both fields), but really need everyone's advice about the following...

--How easy it is to get a job/enter the job market as a PTA (at my age)? Will people hire an older worker? (I need some honesty here.)

--Are there any opportunities for advancement (teaching/writing) if I only have a BS and am licensed as a PTA? I don't want to shortchange myself, but I only have a few more years on the job market and the Doctorate in Physical Therapy would be MUCH more costly in terms of finances and family impact. Also, I like patient care/hate paperwork and it seems the PTs have a lot more to do with insurance than PTAs.

--Do you see people working as PTAs in their 60's? Or does the physical aspect of the job become too hard?

--Do you think the Health Care Reform bill will negatively impact Nursing and Physical Therapy work opportunities?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!
 
--Do you think the Health Care Reform bill will negatively impact Nursing and Physical Therapy work opportunities?

I really think the nurses are sitting in the catbird seat. They have strong unions, ruthless and effective lobbyists, great PR, and a good size shortage. I think nursing is going to be a very safe, secure field (on average, of course) for the next 2-3 decades.