Need some advice please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for some objective advice on my current predicament. I am 21yrs. old, I have received my bachelor's degree and have applied/interviewed to DPT programs. I have been accepted into 3 programs including Univ. of MD.-Baltimore (which would be the one I would attend since it is the least expensive). I am fully committed to the field of PT and I know it is the line of work I would like to pursue. However, I am having many doubts for several reasons. I am legally blind & I know that if I study extremely hard I could handle the academic rigor of PT school. However, when taking A & P as an undergrad, the lab courses were very challenging for me. I understood the content but had to put extra time in to prove myself. That is a big concern for me in PT school. Also, since I graduated in Aug. I have been working as a rehab aide in an outpatient clinic. I love it but I don't drive and the amount of $ I spend on getting transportation there (I live in the suburbs -no public transportation & I could only find a job 35min. away from my home) is a lot. This concerns me b/c I don't know how I would find the means to get and pay for transportation to my clinical affiliations. Since I missed out on the milestone of driving, I feel that I need to be secure in financially supporting myself and having the security of just getting to a job, being reliable and dependable are extremely important to me. Due to the enormous debt I would incur in PT school I feel that I could never catch up financially. I am considering PTA school -but I set extremely high expectations for myself and feel that I would be wasting my "golden" ticket into PT school since its so competitive. I just want to be financially stable and confidently and diligently perform the best job that I can in a field I love. I really don't know what I should do...

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely communicate with faculty at whichever school you decide to attend. I would imagine they could arrange transportation for you, under the circumstances. Perhaps they would allow you to complete all three or four of your clinical internships at the local hospital instead of in another state so you wouldn't have to worry about arranging transportation. Don't give up on your goal of becoming a PT!!! Just communicate with faculty and I would imagine they would be happy to help you. You could send out an email to all three of the programs you were accepted to in order to get a feel for which program will accommodate your needs the most.

Good luck!

I have no doubt you could find someone to help you with this, likely a fellow student (as far as transportation goes) when it comes time to do clinical rotations. It sounds like you're passionate about PT and really want to do it, not to mention the fact that you would bring a whole new perspective to PT, and overall it's obvious you're an impressive person. So I really hope you go to PT school. Take it easy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should go for it, especially since you have come this far. I agree and think that contacting the three schools would be the best way to go. You can also look for a scholarship of some kind. Some of them include spending money, and that could help offset the price for transportation. You could ask the three schools how to apply for scholarships and the chances of obtaining one. If not, when you graduate, if you work in an area that is in great need of a PT, sometimes you can make a deal for the company to pay off your student loans. That could also help you become more financially stable without those loans hanging over your head.
You're an inspiration to have worked this hard to do what you love, don't give up now without putting in your best fight :)

As the others have said, I would definitely suggest contacting the schools and seeing what they can do to help you. You never know what opportunities they could end up providing you. If PT is truly what you're passionate about, don't let this stop you!

In regards of the A&P lab struggles, IMO... if you were able to get into three DPT programs, I wouldn't worry so much about it. Obviously they felt your capable of excelling in their program or they wouldn't have accepted you. Right?

I agree about contacting the three programs about your transportation situation. Hopefully, they can make accommodation or maybe you can live in a dorm room if they offer on-campus living.

Lastly, I was given the advice from many professionals to never let financial reasons get in the way of getting an education; especially in something you are passionate about. Think of the debt you occur now as an investment for the future.... this can be paid later. Takes out loans... apply for scholarships; Don't settle for less!

I know things will work out for you. You have gotten this far, don't stop now :thumbup:

I would make two contacts immediately:

First, the school you plan to attend. I would want to know how the labs are taught and what additional resources are available outside of class time if needed. Make contact with the school's disabilities services center or their equivalent. I would also inquire about clinical locations and their flexibility. Ask every question you can think of so there wouldn't be any surprises, everyone would be on the same page ahead of time, and most importantly you can be sure the school would be a good fit for you.

Second, I would seek out a mentor. There are a number of practicing and retired physical therapists that are legally blind. No one can give you better advice or support than they can.

If you are set on being a PT, definitely go for it, but I would really focus on setting yourself up for success before you even get there. Good luck!

Thank you all for your supportive responses! I really appreciate it. I will definitely take all your advice into full consideration. Best of luck to everyone and their ongoing and future endeavors!

Just a few words of encouragement...

You say that you are "legally blind," I apologize if I am misunderstanding this but are you no longer in the range of using corrective lenses or any other corrective procedures? How bad is your deficit? (I ask because I am considered "legally blind" as well since I have to use corrective lenses while driving, -5.00 power.)

If you are able to fix your vision... You are still young! 21! That's really young! You can still learn how to drive. I know it is an expensive thing to start to learn how to do, but it is an important skill. Public transportation is not always easily accessible. You just need to build confidence and have some practice. You will be fine!

Do not be bogged down by being unable to repay your school debt. A lot of people are in this situation. Apply for financial aid or speak to your school about financial support. There are many options and repayment plans out there if you seek them.

You have proven to yourself that you can succeed in a difficult course. Yes, it will be harder and be more in depth, but again you will be surrounded by others who are in the same situation. Plus, you will have the support of not only your peers but your faculty!

Keep up the good work. :thumbup: It sounds like you have made a lot of efforts to get to where you are currently. Do not limit yourself if you have a dream!

You need to contact you state Services for the Blind. I don't know of a sate which does not have one. If you can't find a listing for them, contact your state Department of Human Services. If you did not take advantage of their services which pay for college tuition and books, you need to use that service now.

As ar as your transportation, you can also work with the Services for the Blind on that as well. There are programs available through these agencies to help with such expenses. When you go to school, you will have the benefit of Baltimore's public transit. When you graduate, you can look for a job in an urban setting, or a good suburban type setting, which has public transportation.

Don't let your vision problems hold you back from doing what you want to do. You might even think of obtaining a PhD in PT which would allow you to teach at a PT school in a fun environment where you can better control your surroundings.

Use the services available to you, that is why they are there. best of luck!