Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheZep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so,

I just finished my masters in social work this past august. I have managed to land a job as an intake consultant at a mental health hospital and get paid pretty nicely there - we assess patients, diagnose, make treatment recommendations and make sure we get them authorized through their insurance companies. I really enjoy the job.

However, a week into this job I accepted another position as a therapist with a local agency that helps kids. I took the position because I knew I got into the field to become a therapist. Now I was under the impression that I would be providing therapy to adolescents in schools. And that was it.

I have just started this job this past week and have kept the job at the mental health hospital for extra money. However, at this new job I found out there are numerous kids on my case load who are 6 -11 (not exactly my desired population) and I will have to make home visits when kids are out of school or when they don't show up.... this makes me feel very uneasy.

My question to all of you - I know it's only been a little while that I've had this new therapist job, but something in my gut is telling me to just not do it. I don't particularly want to work with kids and I damn sure don't want to go to their homes. I just want to do out patient or residential therapy to adolescents/adults. People who can voice their problems. Would it look terrible if I quit so early on? Would it hinder my chances at landing a future job as a therapist? I know I am not that marketable since I just finished school, but how unmarketable would I be I left a job after only a couple weeks? I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to learn to utilize these therapeutic techniques that have been taught to be via school books for long, but I also don't want to be uncomfortable every day at work.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest giving it a try and, since you're contemplating quitting anyways, discussing your concerns with your employer - what do you have to lose. I would do both of those things (and for some period of time) before immediately quitting. I work with children in that age range at my current internship and actually really enjoy the additional psychoeducation necessary to help them better understand and voice their problems. You may end up liking that aspect as well. If nothing else, you could keep your employer in the loop so if you feel you absolutely cannot do it you will allow them to find a suitable replacement in the meantime. That would be the route I would take, but of course that's just my opinion. You have to do whatever you are most comfortable with. I know I would certainly not be down for home visits, at least where I live.

Reactions: 1 users