Need some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringVTech

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am thinking of changing careers to become a Vet Technician. I know the programs are selective, and that I will need to be able to kick butt when taking some pre-req courses.

I've always liked animals, but I know I need a high GPA as well.

I was going to begin at a local community college, due to that being where those programs are offered. The person in charge that I talked to said the interview and good LORs were what determined whether someone got in after taking the prerequisites.

How would I go about getting those LORs? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd check who they require the LORs to be from (at least one Vtech program I looked at wanted one or two animal-related LORs). Otherwise, go to professor's office hours, be smart/helpful/friendly, and build a bond with the professor. Then ask them for the LOR.

Thank you. I'm looking at a few different schools in the area so I can stay with my boyfriend and still pursue this. How many should I apply to after I take the pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I'm looking at a few different schools in the area so I can stay with my boyfriend and still pursue this. How many should I apply to after I take the pre-reqs?

Apply to the schools that will have the lowest costs so that you don't have as much debt. In my state, there are 4 year bachelor's programs to become a vet tech as well as 2 year programs at a specific vet tech school. You can do either of these and become licensed.

Reactions: 3 users
Apply to the schools that will have the lowest costs so that you don't have as much debt. In my state, there are 4 year bachelor's programs to become a vet tech as well as 2 year programs at a specific vet tech school. You can do either of these and become licensed.
I second this. I am currently a student of a 4-year (Bachelor's) vet tech program, so I can provide more info if you are interested in that possibility (however, I already had a completed degree, so I was basically able to jump right in to the final 2 years of the program--it may still be more economical for you to go with the community college depending on your circumstances/financial aid).

Hello ,

I am looking for a couple opinions on a quick question. I am looking to take one more upper division in biology. The only one being offered is Human Embryology. Do you think it is a bad choice for a upper division for vet school? Will it be a waste of my time and money?

Hello ,

I am looking for a couple opinions on a quick question. I am looking to take one more upper division in biology. The only one being offered is Human Embryology. Do you think it is a bad choice for a upper division for vet school? Will it be a waste of my time and money?
Do you need more biology to fill pre-reqs, or are you just taking more upper level because you want to?

Hello ,

Didn't you already make a thread for this exact question?

Do you need more biology to fill pre-reqs, or are you just taking more upper level because you want to?

Im done with the pre-reqs. I am just looking to take one more upper division for boost.

Im done with the pre-reqs. I am just looking to take one more upper division for boost.
I'd say if your interested in the subject and think you can do well in it then go for it. There aren't many differences between human and animal development, but don't do it just to help your application, either. One class, in my opinion, won't make or break it. If your GPA's are already solid, it may be worth taking less credits and shadowing or volunteering somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: So, I am planning to take the pre-reqs at a community college close to my apartment. The way the colleges are set up in my state, I could take them anywhere and still apply to a vet-tech program later. Economically, it's better because the closest community college with a VT program is 35 minutes away, and I want to save on both gas and tuition money. I might also pick up some gen-eds as well while doing this.

Also, one program I have my eye on, they want an academic LOR and a professional LOR. What would constitute the latter?

On an unrelated subject, I am volunteering at a cat shelter and the other volunteers were excited when I mentioned wanting to learn how to administer medication, because only a few of them do it and one of them would have to train me on everything involved. But I'm excited to learn.

Update: So, I am planning to take the pre-reqs at a community college close to my apartment. The way the colleges are set up in my state, I could take them anywhere and still apply to a vet-tech program later. Economically, it's better because the closest community college with a VT program is 35 minutes away, and I want to save on both gas and tuition money. I might also pick up some gen-eds as well while doing this.

Also, one program I have my eye on, they want an academic LOR and a professional LOR. What would constitute the latter?

On an unrelated subject, I am volunteering at a cat shelter and the other volunteers were excited when I mentioned wanting to learn how to administer medication, because only a few of them do it and one of them would have to train me on everything involved. But I'm excited to learn.
A professional LOR could be a vet you worked under, or really any boss/supervisor for a job you've had.