need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cTb0y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took AP economics in high school and passed with 4 and 5. im plannng to apply in CA. i didnt research much on this stuff but i emailed some schools. so far, seems like every pharm school in CA accepts AP scores except USC and Western. i checked out the USC website, and there was something about they "may consider" AP credits. my advisor and friends been telling me because i passed the AP tests, i cannot retake the regular econ for credit or units. i am unclear about this, can someone explain how this works? seems kind of wrong. i decided to look for some city colleges to fulfill this econ. im in a quarter system school and there are big time conflicts between the semester and quarter schools. is there another way i can waive this req. or something. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice for me. thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

cTb0y said:
i took AP economics in high school and passed with 4 and 5. im plannng to apply in CA. i didnt research much on this stuff but i emailed some schools. so far, seems like every pharm school in CA accepts AP scores except USC and Western. i checked out the USC website, and there was something about they "may consider" AP credits. my advisor and friends been telling me because i passed the AP tests, i cannot retake the regular econ for credit or units. i am unclear about this, can someone explain how this works? seems kind of wrong. i decided to look for some city colleges to fulfill this econ. im in a quarter system school and there are big time conflicts between the semester and quarter schools. is there another way i can waive this req. or something. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice for me. thanks a lot!

hmm, USC accepted some of my AP credits. I didn't apply to Western, but all CA schools I applied to accepted APs, granted I was wise not to use too many APs. General advice: don't use your APs for science classes [in other words, retake the science classes regardless of your APs, but typically it's okay to use APs for non-sciences]. If your school won't let you take the classes b/c you already have AP credits (this sounds ridiculous...never heard of this), then I suggest taking the classes at a JC (don't transfer them back to the school you currently attend, obviously). Just check to see that they are transferrable to the pharmacy school(s) of your choice. If in CA, you can use www.assist.org

cTb0y said:

Whatever you do, if you *do* end up using your AP credits, make sure you are 100% sure that the AP office (the College Board in Princeton) actually *sent* your record. OMG, I was worried ill when the people at the AP offices insisted they had sent the record, when in fact they had not... get them sent out waaaay in advance so you are *positive* that they have arrived, and with time to spare.. sorry I'm not more help, but just wanted to throw that out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apteka said:
Whatever you do, if you *do* end up using your AP credits, make sure you are 100% sure that the AP office (the College Board in Princeton) actually *sent* your record. OMG, I was worried ill when the people at the AP offices insisted they had sent the record, when in fact they had not... get them sent out waaaay in advance so you are *positive* that they have arrived, and with time to spare.. sorry I'm not more help, but just wanted to throw that out!

Sadly, it's not a guarantee. I sent out my AP scores to UCSF, UOP, USC, UCSD in JULY 2004 (yes, FOUR months well in advance) and all schools received them. Except after the November 1st deadline, I received a lovely little email from UCSF regarding my app pending for cancellation b/c they didn't have my AP scores. So, I had to pay extra for rushing it to UCSF, on top of the original regular service I had chosen (for all four schools) back in JULY. Dunno how to prevent it 'cuz I mean, I had used the right school codes and all since all the schools, except UCSF, received them.

endlesslove said:
Sadly, it's not a guarantee. I sent out my AP scores to UCSF, UOP, USC, UCSD in JULY 2004 (yes, FOUR months well in advance) and all schools received them. Except after the November 1st deadline, I received a lovely little email from UCSF regarding my app pending for cancellation b/c they didn't have my AP scores. So, I had to pay extra for rushing it to UCSF, on top of the original regular service I had chosen (for all four schools) back in JULY. Dunno how to prevent it 'cuz I mean, I had used the right school codes and all since all the schools, except UCSF, received them.

Exactly my point. Ugh, it's just *so* ridiculous that they still send out the reports ON PAPER... the college board is still in the dark ages.... sigh....
If anyone here ends up dealing with taking AP scores to fulfill ANYTHING, make SURE it's done by a manager or something at the College board and get the name of the person helping you... (it helps a little.)

I had similar issues with getting AP scores sent. If your scores are more than four years old they demand $25 a report and a month to process your request. I wouldn't use your AP scores unless you absolutely have to, its more trouble than its worth.

All the schools in CA accepted my AP scores except for Western. They're telling me I have to retake 3 classes that I have already fulfilled with my AP scores. :smuggrin: