Need some advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbod34

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing my third year rotations in a small rural town in Oregon and I am struggling with the decision of where to do my rotations in my fourth year. I have a family and I would love to stay here so we don't have to move all over the place. If we move next year to a bigger city to do my fourth year, I am not guarenteed that I will match there for internship/residency and I am not excited about moving again. I enjoy being here b/c I am on of a VERY few students and I am directly involved in everything but I am worried that I'll miss out on the patient population that a bigger city would provide. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

Family life is very important. Go ahead and stay where you are if that is an option, and the bonus will be that as one of very few students some of the docs you are working with will get to know you very well and write you awesome letters, potentially.

Don't worry about the variety of patients you are seeing, as you will see ample variety during your residency.

LECOM has rotation sites in Oregon? (I'm a LECOM grad and I don't remember them having rotation sites there.)

I'd stay where you are. I was nomadic for two years when I was on rotations, and now it is so nice to have some stability. Your family will appreciate the stability too.

And like Telemachus said, residency will give you plenty of variety of patients.

DOtobe said:
LECOM has rotation sites in Oregon? (I'm a LECOM grad and I don't remember them having rotation sites there.)

NO, LECOM does not have rotation sites in Oregon but they give you the freedom to do whatever you want really. I did many of my rotations in Alaska. You just have to set them up yourself.