Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennijai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! i am in need of some advice as a undergrad pre-pharm student and would greatly appreciate the help. anyway, currently i am still a pre-pharm student hoping i can make it through and succeed. but my grades in college are not what most pharm schools want, i only have a 3.0 (overall and science) as of now. i have 2 years of college left but probably less since i have to apply to pharm schools in my junior year. i am afraid that i will not be able to get into any pharm schools and end up at a dead end.

what bothers me is that i have great passion in this field even when i don't have the grades to prove it. since i know i am unable to help in the doctors office (cant stand blood for long) i still wanted to help in the field of medicine, which became pharm. just the thought of being in a field where we might be able to cure cancer and many more illness and diseases seems exciting and what could be a better place than the area itself?

so what i ask for is some advice, can anyone give me some advice on what i should do? should i forget about this field and go to another since it might be a waste of my time or should i stick to it and attempt to apply to pharm schools?

thank you guys so much for your help. =]

Members don't see this ad.

bennijai said:
hi everyone! i am in need of some advice as a undergrad pre-pharm student and would greatly appreciate the help. anyway, currently i am still a pre-pharm student hoping i can make it through and succeed. but my grades in college are not what most pharm schools want, i only have a 3.0 (overall and science) as of now. i have 2 years of college left but probably less since i have to apply to pharm schools in my junior year. i am afraid that i will not be able to get into any pharm schools and end up at a dead end.

what bothers me is that i have great passion in this field even when i don't have the grades to prove it. since i know i am unable to help in the doctors office (cant stand blood for long) i still wanted to help in the field of medicine, which became pharm. just the thought of being in a field where we might be able to cure cancer and many more illness and diseases seems exciting and what could be a better place than the area itself?

so what i ask for is some advice, can anyone give me some advice on what i should do? should i forget about this field and go to another since it might be a waste of my time or should i stick to it and attempt to apply to pharm schools?

Trust me you are not the only one in this situation. This forum is filled with many variations of that SAME question...Just make a search and you'll see. You could also look at the Pre-Pharm stickie at the top of this forum. Bananaface has put alot of useful links that I found very helpful when I was going thru the same thing.

thanx on the tip, im reading around and i hope i can get back the confidence i need. thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the PCAT and let the results help you decide. A GPA is only one part of a package, though admittedly important, but if you do really well on the pcat who knows. We're ALL passionate.

There's also nursing and EMT etc... none of us are curing cancer.

I agree with RobRx, let the PCAT help you. If you can score in the high 80's and do alot of extra shadowing or part time work, a 3.0 could work. I wouldn't say give up before you tried to get in, though. I would play every card you have before quitting. There is always a chance.

thanx guys, im planning on taking the PCAT this jan 07 and going to bring my gpa up higher. much appreciated to all of you.

bennijai said:

never give up! i was in the same boat as you as far as gpa goes. i did have a good pcat score and tons of extra curriculars so that helped a lot. if you dont get in the first time you apply (like me, i got in after i got my bachelors) contact the schools to find out what areas of your application you can improve to show them you are determined to be a pharmacist.