Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2MD

Hold my beer...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks. I'll try not to turn this into a chances question but I am at a little bit of a crossroads with what to do here. I am still in the running for Texas schools but not a very competitive applicant for the following reasons: 1) Applied late (TMDSAS verified 10/25) 2) Average to low MCAT (25 S) 3) I'm nontraditional (Age:35)

I've got a ton of clinical experience and two graduate degrees (3.65 GPA and physical therapy degree from UTMB).

My question is should I retake the MCAT or simply look south toward a Caribbean school? I feel like my chances are strong at one of these schools but then there's the whole FMG-thing AND the $$ is a big factor. I think I'm leaning to pump up the MCAT, but any thoughts from folks who have gone through this process would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

if you think you can improve your MCAT, i would give it a shot. but the question is ... are you willing to wait one more year?

Exactly... One more year of a good PT salary, which isn't bad of course, vs. getting started with med school. This is of course assuming I could get accepted at a Caribbean school...nothing's certain although I do like my chances.

The biggest issue for me is the cost. $250K vs $180K at the US doesn't sound like a huge issue until you factor in 10-20 years + interest! The difference in total cost of the loans is approximately $200K. The long-term income prospects are an absolute no-brainer, I just don't want to saddle my family with an incredible financial burden.

I don't have lofty goals as an MD. I'd like to go into family practice in a fairly progressive but rural suburb of Houston. I'm going to an SGU open house tomorrow night in Houston and hopefully I can learn more. Again any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also...applying DO is also an option.

I actually considered it early in the process this year. Definately don't want to stir the MD / DO debate here. Being a physical therapist, I'm just not sure I buy into the manipulative component of the DO curriculum. I'd like to emphasize my allopathic skills and not waste time with classes learning techniques I'll never apply in the clinic.

I don't have anything against DO, but I think MD is where I want to be. I just may have to shell out extra $$ to get there unfortunately. We'll see how it pans out. Thanks for the input.

If you get the MCAT to 30 or above, I bet your chances will blow out of the roof with your degree. Realize you need to do well and study your pants off 2-3 months. A 30 is doable, you just have to work hard for it. Bring it around and I'm sure you will nail an acceptance to a US MD program.

Ok folks. I'll try not to turn this into a chances question but I am at a little bit of a crossroads with what to do here. I am still in the running for Texas schools but not a very competitive applicant for the following reasons: 1) Applied late (TMDSAS verified 10/25) 2) Average to low MCAT (25 S) 3) I'm nontraditional (Age:35)

I've got a ton of clinical experience and two graduate degrees (3.65 GPA and physical therapy degree from UTMB).

My question is should I retake the MCAT or simply look south toward a Caribbean school? I feel like my chances are strong at one of these schools but then there's the whole FMG-thing AND the $$ is a big factor. I think I'm leaning to pump up the MCAT, but any thoughts from folks who have gone through this process would be greatly appreciated.

Hey PT2MD, Texas Medical schools are very very competitive and can be just as difficult to get into as University of California (UCLA,UCSF,UCD, UCSD) schools. Last year, I really didn't prepare that well for the MCATs; mostly relied on Kaplan stuff while taking classes; scored low, applied later than you would have, got tons of secondaries; in the end, no interviews and obviously no acceptance.

This year, I studied my behind off and improved my score slightly. This year, I applied early, sent only 3 secondaries out; got 2 interviews and so far and 1 acceptance. As you stated in your last comment, no offense taken, I applied primarily to DO's this round.

I also considered FMG, since I have a friend who is doing this option. She got accepted at Ross and St. George. I considered AUG but the problem was that the clinical sites were either in New York, or in Florida. Sure, if you are working in the hospital, most people will not see where you got your degree from. However, in a private practice setting namely (FM), your patients will see where you got your degree from and it may or may not affect you.(depends on your public relations)

I'd say study and squeeze every point out of the MCAT and try. I would only use the FMG as a last resort. And also consider that you don't need to use the OMM when you do your practice if you do consider to go the DO route. Many DO's take both the COMLEX and USMLE and take traditional allopathic residencies where OMM might not be feasible to apply.

Anyhow, good luck to you and whether you go the US MD route, FMG MD route, or DO route, your patients will still refer to you as Doctor.

Thanks tk. That's exactly my plan. I am studying hard for April's MCAT and hope to kick it to 30 or better if possible. If next November rolls around and all I get are crickets, I'll take a harder look at the SGU/AUC or a DO program. Thanks for everyone's input.