Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads in this forum asking for advice on reapplying. While I have gathered some good information from these threads, I was hoping I could get some further insight into my current predicament.

I am about to graduate from the University of Texas. My GPA at UT is a 3.6 (science 3.7). However, my senior year of high school was accredited at a community college and I did quite poorly that year (3.00ish). I retook most of the premed courses from that year at UT and got As, but I assume that the medical schools will not just discredit that year. My MCAT score is quite competitive (13 VR, 10 PS, 10 BS).

Now comes to dirty party

While trying to apply last year, my father became very ill. He was on a trip to India, when he had to hospitalize. He came back to the U.S., but was in and out of hospitals from June - December of 2006. This took a heavy toll on me, as I was constantly shuttling between Dallas (where my father was) and Austin (school). Both emotionally and mentally, I was conflicted. I tried to get my apps in, but I never could fully concentrate. I finally just turned in application for the Texas schools, without doing any of the secondaries (therefore only acceptable to Houston, San Antonio, and Galveston). Mind you, I turned these applications in extremely late in the game (late September, early October). Anyways, I only got an interview to Houston, which I proceeded to bomb. All the while, my grades were suffering last semester (*salvaged* a 3.2).

Now my question is how I approach reapplying. My father's health is much better now, as are my grades this semester (expecting a 3.7). Should I turn in the same application as I did last year, just early? I really feel my personal statement was strong, but should I rewrite it since some schools have already read it? Also, I received an interview for one of the schools in Texas even though I did not fill out their secondary (tech). I did not attend this interview, as I was with my dad at the time and did not receive enough notice. How do I approach this school? Do I call them now and explain to them what had happened, or are my chances ruined for ignoring them? Should I mention my father's illness in my application?

I plan on working as an EMT during my year off. Should I be looking at a Post-Bacc plan instead? I guess, with my stats, what should I be doing to strengthen my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's necessary for you to do anything other than reapply. You might want to add to your personal statement how trying the last year was, but that it only strengthened your resolve to go to med school and reapply this year. Your stat's are good, so I think an early submission will garner you many interviews. Besides, a post-bac program will add to your debt whereas working in the medical field will illustrate your initiative to work and learn. With the app cycle coming up again in May I say get 'em in early. Most of the schools in Texas start interviewing in summer.

Good luck!