need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piglet07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
i need some advice and i hope people out there can help me out - i appreciate it!

so, i've applied to vet school for this cycle [2006], and got rejected.. :(
it's mostly because i had minimal animal experience... and working as a kennel/vet assist for over 6 months now, i realize that i really don't know much about clinical stuff [good thing that the schools rejected me!].. i feel as though i've been missing what's important about being a good veterinarian -

and i feel as though the vet i work for doesn't really think highly of me.. i don't know, but i just get a negative vibe...but sometimes, it's okay - like the dr. doesn't seem to not be in such a neg. mood.. but the dr.'s also good at hiding true feelings..

i've noticed, because of the way other people in the hospital treat me - it's a reflection of how the dr. thinks of that particular person, and that's the way the hosp. staff treats you...

if i haven't lost you guys with this far-about way of describing my situation... i don't know..so anyhow here are my questions:

1) should i just get my LOR and run with it?
2) for people who got accepted this cycle how much clinical stuff do you know?
3) what are some of the qualities you think are important as a vet?

i think i know the answers to these questions, but i just want to hear what other people think!

please advice - i really appreciate it!
thank you!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, if you really believe the doctor doesn't think real highly of you, I would try and find another vet that you could shadow that might be willing to write you a LOR. You don't want a bad LOR from the vet that just doesn't like you to jeopardize your chances of getting in next time.

Good Luck :luck:

and i feel as though the vet i work for doesn't really think highly of me.. i don't know, but i just get a negative vibe...

1) should i just get my LOR and run with it?
2) for people who got accepted this cycle how much clinical stuff do you know?
3) what are some of the qualities you think are important as a vet?

thank you!
:)

kinda a sucky situation that you are in....

if you think that the LOR isn't going to be wonderful, i wouldn't do it.

personally, i worked at different clinics for 4.5 years before i applied. fortunetly, i worked for great doctors who would really help me learn. for example, they would go over the history of a patient and then ask what i would do/what meds/procedure/etc. so i think that i know quite a bit of clinical stuff.

the more you work for different vets the better. i have worked for about 10 vets and i'm so glad i have b/c i learn what kind of vet i want to be based on me observing and working with them. there are a lot of qualities that make a good vet. i think a lot of it has to do with your personality. i have worked for a-hole docs that are amazing at what they do but clients hate them, and i've worked for pretty good vets that clients love b/c they are so nice and compassionate. the more experience you have, the more you realize what kind of doctor you want to be.

hope this helps and good luck re applying. also- how many schools did you apply to? the more the better!

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally also had a lot of clinical experience when I applied (worked as a tech in a specialty/ critical care/ emergency practice for 2 years- after 3 years in smaller clinics). I see the difference in my student colleagues that have had this sort of in-depth experience vs those who "just" shadowed for vet experience... we are just more comfortable with procedures, emergency situations, and medical periphenelia. These things are not really taught in school, and there is not the time and opportunity for practice in clinics. (Add to this that my vet school also has a related vet tech school, and it means we don't get much practice in blood draws, iv catheter placement, radiology, cystocentesis, wrapping surgical packs, running an autoclave, admitting patients, dealing with clients (I had the additional experience of working as a bank teller), and interacting with different personalities in doctors (it was also my experience that there are docs who are great at medicine but dislike animals and people, and docs who love animals, are good with them, and are good with people as well- and everywhere in-between). I personally learned that I didn't want to have too big of a god complex- but I am apparently failing miserably at this- haven't even started second year, and hubby says that I am getting difficult to live with!
Maybe just because I am omniscient :idea:! He's jealous...

Jenn

thanks so much guys! i really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts/experiences!

so i should start looking for a "vet assist" job rather than a "kennel" job-even if it's short term/part-time.... :)

i've applied to four schools this cycle - csu is my first choice, but we'll see how it goes, i'll for sure apply to at least six this year!

thanks so much guys for your honest thoughts!

:D