need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys;

Keep in mind I am an American IMG studying in London (MS-3). I am planning on taking step 1 in April '08 followed by step 2 in October '08. I have already started studying for step 1 over a month ago. Going slow, but at least in the right direction.
Unlike you guys, we don't have shelf exams at the end of each rotation...usually we have a 5-10 station viva/clinical skills station to test what we learned during the block; they prepare us well for it (good lectures and hands-on experience). And on some occasions we do have MCQ paper. But overall, it is a pleasant experience. As a result, I am able to put massive amounts of time studying for the boards: average about 4 hours a night studying for the boards.
I am hoping for a match in 2009. Is this do-able, you think? Assuming I pass the boards first time around, can I begin a residency in '09? I already have my ECFMG stuff organised.

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys;

Keep in mind I am an American IMG studying in London (MS-3). I am planning on taking step 1 in April '08 followed by step 2 in October '08. I have already started studying for step 1 over a month ago. Going slow, but at least in the right direction.
Unlike you guys, we don't have shelf exams at the end of each rotation...usually we have a 5-10 station viva/clinical skills station to test what we learned during the block; they prepare us well for it (good lectures and hands-on experience). And on some occasions we do have MCQ paper. But overall, it is a pleasant experience. As a result, I am able to put massive amounts of time studying for the boards: average about 4 hours a night studying for the boards.
I am hoping for a match in 2009. Is this do-able, you think? Assuming I pass the boards first time around, can I begin a residency in '09? I already have my ECFMG stuff organised.

cheers

The key is getting that Step I score back in time (it takes about 5-6 weeks for people in the states). But I think you'll be ok. I'm sure you've already read up on the residencies you have the best chance at matching with. I would consider contacting programs in the near future and asking them about their policy. Look to see where your school has sent students in the past... your chances of matching increase exponentially at a program that has a track record of taking your school's graduates.

hey guys;

cheers

I don't know much about the timing issue. But depending on what you want to match into, the key for you is going to be doing well on Step 1, and how much you still remember come test time. I'm not sure the "assuming I pass the boards first time around" is a high enough target unless you are shooting for one of the uncompetitive specialties. While 4 hours a day for a lot of months may add up to more hours than the 10 hours a day for 5 weeks most US students do, I would worry that the stuff you look at more than a month or two out won't really be in your brain by test time. In my experience, the stuff looked at more than 5-6 weeks before the test still needed a pretty significant last minute refresher. Is there no way you can squeeze out more time during the month before your test?

I am looking at anesthesiology programmes in the northeast; and the ones I am looking at are on the competetive side. Not only am I looking at just "passing," but trying to beat the mean (>220). That is why I am hitting it so early; however, I keep things "fresh" by spending less than one hour a day dedicated to topics I previously looked at (I basically have no life).
Four weeks before step 1, I am planning on putting things in overdrive. So, from what you guys are saying, it is possible to get into a 09 match if things work out: solid USMLE scores and get stuff done on time! I just don't want to take a year off. *crossing-fingers*

Thanks for the advice guys!

cheers.