Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalyanova

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an american IMG now working as a research assistant in neuroradiology at a major medical school in the midwest.
I have been involved in research and should have a couple papers as a first author and some case reports (not first author). do you think that my publication history is enough? i am planning and hoping for a about 3 papers and 2 case reports by the end of next year with myself as a first author.
i was told about doing observerships so as to obtain some US clinical experience, but my boss told me that he would add to the fact that i did also an observership (as i spend lots of time in the reading room.. watching people work).

what else could anyone advise me to improve my chances?? my first and only love is RADIOLOGY..
i was thinking of doing an observership/ maybe try to sneak my way through an externship in medicine/ neurology..

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think 3 first author paper is more than enough. Very few med students have 3 first author papers in radiology.

Being an IMG, you'll need very strong board scores to have a good shot at matching at a decent place. I am estimating probably >250 on Step 1 and 2 to be safe.

I think rad observership can give you good idea of what it is like to be a rad, but won't help you much in terms of the application, as you are unlikely to get a good reference letters that speak well of your character and work ethics. You are just pretty much sitting there all day long watching and not doing any solid work for the clinicians.

USMLE scores are the most important factors in getting interviews for Radiology. Pubs are good, but not the most important. They are viewed as icing on the cake.