Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just completed one year of a masters program in speech-language pathology. After doing clinicals, I am now just figuring out that I hate it and want to switch. I attended Pharmacy school my freshman year of undergrad and unfortunitly quit due to being so far away from my family and because I wasn't mature enough to endore such a challanging program. I am considering returning back to pharmacy school. To do so, I'd have to take a bunch of pre-requisites, do really well in them and get accepted into a program for 2010 or 2011. My question is, if I don't complete all the prerequsites (although I will be finishing them before starting school) when I apply, will my chances of being accepted become reduced?

I'm just trying to sort this out so I'm not in school until I'm 40! Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Most people who apply usually have courses unfinished. For example, if I'm bad at physics, I might leave physics until the year that I apply so that it won't be counted in my GPA. However, there are certain classes that you should take like Organic Chemistry because they tend to be good indicators of success in Pharmacy School. Just plan ahead and pick your courses wisely :).

As long as you have most of the main science courses finished, then I don't think it'll be a huge factor. But to be sure, you'd have to ask the schools that you plan to apply to. I got accepted into a program for Fall 2009 and I still have to finish out some prerequisites this Spring and Summer. **Some schools require that all courses be finished in the spring prior to enrollment, while other schools (like mine) allow courses to be taken the summer before.

Hello,

I have just completed one year of a masters program in speech-language pathology. After doing clinicals, I am now just figuring out that I hate it and want to switch. I attended Pharmacy school my freshman year of undergrad and unfortunitly quit due to being so far away from my family and because I wasn't mature enough to endore such a challanging program. I am considering returning back to pharmacy school. To do so, I'd have to take a bunch of pre-requisites, do really well in them and get accepted into a program for 2010 or 2011. My question is, if I don't complete all the prerequsites (although I will be finishing them before starting school) when I apply, will my chances of being accepted become reduced?

I'm just trying to sort this out so I'm not in school until I'm 40! Thanks for the advice!

Most applicants who apply usually haven't finish all of their pre-req yet. However, finishing most pre-req is still better. I heard it's best if you have less than 3 unfinished pre-req since some schools do require that you finish everything by spring quarter and not by the end summer. Good luck and Don't get discourage. :luck: