Raydeus

EM
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I just took NBME 4 with comprehensive feedback and i did pretty bad. Got a 202. I don't understand how it could have happened. I've been getting around a 60% on UWorld (and considering the NBME exam said I only got 50% right it's kinda weird) and I did pretty well on my 3rd year shelfs. I really feel like this is not reflective of what I know for this exam. Anyone else find this exam really hard or had a similar experience?

Just looking for some advice about what to do because now I'm thinking of putting off Step 2 (supposed to take it in 2 weeks) until after residency applications so it doesn't shoot down my chances. Should I take another NBME to see if it matches this one? For reference I got a 225 on step 1. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray

OP
Raydeus

Raydeus

EM
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Anybody?

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
Status
don't postpone. 2 weeks is a lot of time.

i'm taking it in a few days. i scored pretty bad on the UW assessment with a score under 200. but i think my problem was that i couldn't pull from the wealth of information in my head and apply it. i did well all year on my clinical rotations and those individual shelf exams. but when all the material is together for the step 2, i realize that it's somehow hard for my brain to sift through it.

i'm just going to re-read through all the material to make sure all the diagnoses are in my head. then spend the day doing mixed batches of questions. and then going to go take it.

funshi baba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
in the middle of nowhere
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i agree with the previous post too. Don't post-pone. My UW assessment was low too (207). My NBME 2 was slightly better (213). I am taking it on d 29. Look through the break down of ur performance on the NBME score sheet.

Focus ur attention on ur weakness and try ur hands on another NBME to check for improvements.

good luck

OP
Raydeus

Raydeus

EM
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the replies. I decided not to postpone and just work my a** off for the next two weeks or so. I really didn't want to take it later but that NBME score just kinda rattled me a bit. I really don't think it's reflective of what i really know. I hope its wrong. I'll let you know how it works out.

-Ray