Need some advice!

Started by deleted289008
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted289008

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Lately, I have been contemplating on my career paths, and have been pre-med since I was a freshman (am a 3rd year now). I have already taken my MCAT and received a 39S, with a 3.95 GPA, majoring in Biology. Like I said, I have been thinking about what I want in life and an MD doesn't offer me the time I need to accomplish those goals. I haven't had any pharmacy experience, but have volunteered at the VA hospital for a year in emergency and inpatient care. I have published one paper and am in a 2 year research program that is funded by the UC (California) system. I wanted to apply for pharmacy school during the next cycle, but I don't know where I stand with my stats. I have already completed all the classes required for pharm school with the exception of one lab and a public speaking class.

Can anyone give me some insight on what I still need to do?
I have been looking for pharmacy departments to volunteer for but they're all full with a two quarter waitinglist. Is volunteering for a pharmacy looked upon better than volunteering in other departments?
What schools should I aim for?
Should I take the PCATs? I don't want to leave California though.

I apologize for having so many questions!
 
You are much more than qualified. Apply and finish your prereqs and you'll be golden. Pharmacy experience is always a plus but I don't think it will hurt your chances with your stats and accomplishments. Just keep trying to volunteer while you go to school and something will probably happen for you... but I would not be too concerned about it.

I would recommend taking the PCAT just because it's always good to have a fallback in case you decide to go outside CA. I think some CA schools will look at PCAT scores they just don't require them, but that's a question I'm not 100% sure on.
 
Thanks Pearl! I will definitely take that into consideration!

And sorry for the typo. I meant to say PCAT =]