Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzrtn97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's where I'm at...

I earned my BS in Neurobiology last spring at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will this January. According to AMCAS my cGPA is 3.24 and my sGPA is 3.09, but my numbers are so low due to a pair of bad semesters (gpa for the semesters was a 2.3) during the spring of my freshman year and fall of my sophomore year. I tried bumping up my numbers my last two years and did (junior year gpa 3.55 and senior year was a 3.97) and did so taking almost all upper level undergrad classes and some grad classes in neuro. I know the upward trend is looked at, but I'm not sure how much it will influence any decision.

I've been active outside of the classroom as well, eagle scout, giving one on one english lessons weekly, shadowing, volunteering in the ER for a few years, on a cycling team, among a few other things. I've also worked in a research lab all through school and got a second job in another lab.

So my question is this: Do I have the numbers to make it in med school or should I really consider a post bac program before I start applying. Right now I have debating applying to both simultaneously but I don't want to just throw away money.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.24 cGPA, I think you'd need a 35 MCAT to make up for it and have a chance at allopathic med schools. This still would not compensate for the low BCPM GPA.

With a 3.24 and an MCAT of 28, you could get into a less selective DO school.

If you spend another year doing a full-time postbac getting straight As, you could raise your GPA to 3.39 (maybe 3.4 with summer school). If most of the classes were upper-level science classes, you could significantly raise your BCPM GPA or sGPA. Then, with an MCAT score of 33+, you might get into an MD school, or with a 26 get into a DO school.

You'd need good ECs no matter where you apply, so keep working on them too. It looks to me like you're in pretty good shape there, but continue some type of clinical experience until you get an acceptance. Eagle Scout would look even better if you resume some type of Boy Scout involvement, maybe teaching badges at the least.