Quantcast

Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaguirre

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Ok so I ve been out of schoold for 4 years and I ve decided to study medicine I m taking my MCAT in May I am just worried I am getting old I m 26 and I know traditionally students are 21 or younger. Do you guys think that might be a draw back? Any advice that you guys can give me about the MCAT and the application process would be great!!!

Go Ducks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Twenty-six isn't old! The average student age at my state school is 26--they heavily favor students who have been out of school for a while. Besides, must college grads are 22, just four years younger than you. Traditionally very few med students are 21 or younger.

In the long term, four years is nothing. If you did something interesting and worthwhile between now and when you graduated, then you have nothing to worry about.

mordounhas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As ducks stated, the age issue won't be a problem if you were making good use of the time you were out of school (even if you weren't, it might not be a deal-breaker).

In terms of preparation for the MCAT, there are likely people here who could give you more detailed advice, but I'll say this: stick to a plan and do practice questions (questions are what helped me the most).

marble30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you look through the non-trad forum, you'll see that there are some people in their 40s and early 50s aiming for med school. So you're nowhere near old.

Practitioner

Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
National average is 23-24, I believe. I don't have MSAR handy to verify this now but 26 is hardly old for med school.

Good luck on the MCAT though. I can't imagine how much harder you have to practice for it 4 years out of school.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I ve been out of schoold for 4 years and I ve decided to study medicine I m taking my MCAT in May I am just worried I am getting old I m 26 and I know traditionally students are 21 or younger. Do you guys think that might be a draw back? Any advice that you guys can give me about the MCAT and the application process would be great!!!

Are your gums receding? Is your hairline receding? If not, then you are probably ok.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow i didn't know that people your age knew how to use the internet! lol i'm totally jk, you're not anywhere NEAR old! there is an mcat forum that might be of help. i haven't been there in a while, but i remember someone had posted a sample study schedule to get the studying done in 3 months.