Mar 15, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok so I ve been out of schoold for 4 years and I ve decided to study medicine I m taking my MCAT in May I am just worried I am getting old I m 26 and I know traditionally students are 21 or younger. Do you guys think that might be a draw back? Any advice that you guys can give me about the MCAT and the application process would be great!!!

Go Ducks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2009
Status (Visible)
Twenty-six isn't old! The average student age at my state school is 26--they heavily favor students who have been out of school for a while. Besides, must college grads are 22, just four years younger than you. Traditionally very few med students are 21 or younger.

In the long term, four years is nothing. If you did something interesting and worthwhile between now and when you graduated, then you have nothing to worry about.

mordounhas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As ducks stated, the age issue won't be a problem if you were making good use of the time you were out of school (even if you weren't, it might not be a deal-breaker).

In terms of preparation for the MCAT, there are likely people here who could give you more detailed advice, but I'll say this: stick to a plan and do practice questions (questions are what helped me the most).

About the Ads

marble30

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you look through the non-trad forum, you'll see that there are some people in their 40s and early 50s aiming for med school. So you're nowhere near old.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ok so I ve been out of schoold for 4 years and I ve decided to study medicine I m taking my MCAT in May I am just worried I am getting old I m 26 and I know traditionally students are 21 or younger. Do you guys think that might be a draw back? Any advice that you guys can give me about the MCAT and the application process would be great!!!

Are your gums receding? Is your hairline receding? If not, then you are probably ok.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
wow i didn't know that people your age knew how to use the internet! lol i'm totally jk, you're not anywhere NEAR old! there is an mcat forum that might be of help. i haven't been there in a while, but i remember someone had posted a sample study schedule to get the studying done in 3 months.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads